Velociraptor phalanges and claw

Hi all, 

Long-time lurker and first time poster - I hope I can run this fossil by everyone.

The item is advertised as Velociraptor claw and digit bones from the Gobi Desert, Mongolia, without a formation named. I'm not sure if the components were found together, but given the different colouration/texture I assume not. Attached is the only photo of it. It seems big for Velociraptor at 6", and the blood groove looks unusually well defined. 

Any thoughts?

fossil.thumb.jpeg.7bffd0f8e39f4d975416387e3f5ef8d3.jpeg

I agree that the blood groove looks carved. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A real digit of Velociraptor is about 1/2 the size of that one since it's a very small Dromaeosaurid.  The phalanges look good and I would need a closer look at the claw, all sides to determine if any resto has been done.  Hard to determine from this angle.   Typical to have some tip resto on Mongolian claws.  Most digits from Mongolia are also typically composited and this one appears that way since the preservation, like you mention is a bit different on each phalanx. 

• I found this Informative 2

I've seen this one before. Here are some more photos I saved at the time. It all looks real to me. But could well be a composite. If it's really Velociraptor it would likely be illegal to export.

img_4424.thumb.jpg.001e004dcaf0357257f9322922fffcb2.jpgimg_4423.jpg.457abbb20cde6bf5288475845c93205a.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Interesting, thank you guys! If it is too big for velociraptor, is it possible to identify it as dromaeosaur vs some other kind of theropod? Although I suppose it gets a bit academic if this is indeed an illegal export.

Here is a replica foot of  Velocripator, smaller and the phalanges/claw have a different morphology than the one you are showing

20220404_052501.thumb.jpg.c049c19b8ca8102a8a68134d8b2780df.jpg

The phalanges also don't work on that digit.   Seller represents that as Digit III since it has 3 phalanges.    Phalanx 1 appears to be from Digit II not III.   I also doubt phalanx 3 is from that digit.  So what you have is a composite assemblage and these might be from different species.  Mongolian material can be from Jurassic to Late Cretaceous deposits so without a provenance its impossible to take a stab of what it is.   Some of the phalanges look like an Oviraptorid.  Claw looks okay tip might be resto need additional views.

• I found this Informative 2

Interesting piece. Can you get more and better quality photos? 

Bone structure looks good, but indeed the blood grove looks to perfect but its possible

Better quality photos from other angles would help.

Could be wrong but the digits seem to be from different animals. Coloring is totally different from digit to digit, what is common from Moroccan pieces also they are found separately in almost all cases.

• I found this Informative 1

If the seller replies to me I'll see if I can get some more photographs, especially of the claw, and info on how it was acquired. 

• I Agree 1