Devonian Fossils?

Saxon Vinkovic

Hi everyone, havent posted here in a very long time. 

I have been out fossicking a few months ago in a region of New South Wales, Australia in a devonian limestone dominated region.

There are entire strata maade up of beds of Spirifer and Orthoceras and an array of coralstherefore its evident this used to be a shallow warm sea, of devonian age.

There is this one fossil however, with images (attached to the post) that appears to be a ring almost however it has to layer. I have used a ruler for scale

I'm unsure as to what this is and if it is even an animal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :headscratch:

Thanks for your time! p4_4.thumb.jpg.021fd038b712d848163b367a450418bf.jpg 

1:1:22_1.jpg

p4_4.jpg

p4.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Looks like part of an ammonite or something along those lines, someone familiar with that part of the world will give you better ID though :)

It is a gastropod, the picture with the cross section is a good indicator.

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 4

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I agree with gastropod. Uncannily, I encountered its smaller sibling in my Devonian rocks up here just a few days ago, and half a world away: 

0B255B81-EFE8-48A7-A521-760E8F1F6377.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It's a very nice find. :)

The genus Orthoceras is limited to the Balto_Scandinavian area, your specimens may be another genus from the Order Orthocerida and can be referred to as orthoconic nautiloids. 

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you so much everyone for your contributions.

I have taken it all on board and I can't thank you enought. I will continue to do a bit more research into devonian gastropods and contact a few locals. 

Thanks again!