New BBC Dinosaur Wildlife Documentary

Neanderthal Shaman

Did anyone else see the trailer for the new "Walking with Dinosaurs" style nature documentary that's coming out? It's called "Prehistoric Planet", and it's made by the BBC again. The CGI looks great, and it's supposed to reflect the 20+ years of knowledge in paleontology that we've accrued since WWD came out. 

David Attenborough is voicing it, although personally I would love for Kenneth Branagh to come back. I get it though, if you want a nature documentary to succeed these days, you've got to put Attenborough in it. 

I guess it's also going to be on AppleTV+, which I really have no interest in paying for. 

Thoughts?

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

I think it is against the rules to even hint at making negative comments about Sir David.  : )

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Sir David Attenborough is a national treasure in the U.K. and very much loved on TFF . I don’t have a Tv but I will buy on

dvd if it comes out on this prehistoric format. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sir David Attenborough is a national treasure in the U.K. and very much loved on TFF . I don’t have a Tv but I will buy on

dvd if it comes out on this prehistoric format. 

I love David Attenborough and I know he's going to rock the narration! Me wanting Kenneth Branagh is just because I want to feel as much like a 10-year old watching WWD again as possible. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

WOW!  That's amazing on so many levels!  Thank you so much for posting!

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Great to have some news about this! As stated, quite a rumor about it three years ago, also here on TFF ;).

Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

"We've got so many details with this site that tell us what happened moment by moment, it's almost like watching it play out in the movies. You look at the rock column, you look at the fossils there, and it brings you back to that day," says Robert DePalma, the University of Manchester, UK, graduate student who leads the Tanis dig.

Even though this sounds like a supermarket tabloid piece, the evidence is compelling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-61013740?fbclid=IwAR0L3bR2YqEe9eRK-DHYzrcg5h0243tsyqH7UpDInjHYEh9FWz6o_rcsrio

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ALL TOPICS MERGED.  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tanis: Fossil of dinosaur killed in asteroid strike found, scientists claim

Jonathan Amos, BBC News, April 6, 2022

Scientists find fossil from THE DAY the dinosaurs died 66m years ago:

Leg of Thescelosaurus was 'ripped off in aftermath' of huge asteroid

strike that wiped out most species on Earth, The Daily Mail, April 7, 2022

Among the caims made is:

"Experts found the fossilised leg of a dinosaur killed and what appears

to be a fragment of the asteroid itself"

Yours,

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras
added text

Merged, again.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

We are all very excited. :thumbsu:

• Enjoyed 1

I'm not a dinosaur guy but I remember from talks by Phil Currie, Jack Horner and other dinosaur luminaries that Tanis and DePalma have their share of controversy due to the claims being produced and the dearth of published scholarly articles. Is that right? I'm curious as to what the better informed dinosaur enthusiasts think. I read the BBC article and it seems that some scholarly articles are now being produced. Is anyone up to date on these articles and know where to find them?

46 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

I'm not a dinosaur guy but I remember from talks by Phil Currie, Jack Horner and other dinosaur luminaries that Tanis and DePalma have their share of controversy due to the claims being produced and the dearth of published scholarly articles. Is that right? I'm curious as to what the better informed dinosaur enthusiasts think. I read the BBC article and it seems that some scholarly articles are now being produced. Is anyone up to date on these articles and know where to find them?

If you go to Google Scholar and search on "Tanis Fossil Site", then refine the search to "Since 2018" (refinement controls on left side), there are 295 results. Some are unrelated, others are commentaries on what's been publicized, but the bulk of the published work from that site should be in the list. There are certainly some on the first page of results.

I find it fascinating from multiple perspectives. Not least is the report that some micro-tektites contain material from the impactor!

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

D'oh! :DOH: Sorry! I just briefly browsed the topic headings before posting. Still exciting! 

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to the Paleonerds Podcast episode interviewing DePalma, it's a fun listen! He briefly touches on some of the backlash to that original article (was it in the New Yorker?), and it seems like the author had promised to wait to publish until after some studies had been published but the article ended up coming out first.