Really weird Hell Creek Tooth id

jikohr

Hi everyone!

This came from Powder River County, Montana Hell Creek Formation.

CH is 12 mm (I think, not sure where the root begins.)

CBL is 5 mm

CBW is 2 mm

no serrations on the mesial side but there are some on the distal side but only in the middle and not near the tip. The density is 7/mm.

I have a two others like this I'll try and post pics of later. one other has full serrations on the distal side (7/mm) and some very light serrations at the base of the mesial side (7/mm) and another that's fully serrated on both sides (7/mm on both sides) Other than that the teeth are nearly identical right down to a D shape cross section and overall shape which is supposed to mean Tyrannosaur but these don't look like Nano or rex.

What are these?

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

1e.jpg

1f.jpg

1g.jpg

1h.jpg

This is a Paronychodon tooth. They are generally seen as theropod teeth, but a surprise might be coming down the road as to the ID of these things...

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Its serrated, so I would described it as a premaxillary tooth of a Dromaeosaurid.  

Most theropod paleontologists,   I believe view Paronychodon, a tooth taxon, as not valid and I'll point to Evans/Currie paper 2019 showing this morph present on premax teeth of Saurornitholestes and Velociraptor. 

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Its serrated, so I would described it as a premaxillary tooth of a Dromaeosaurid.  

Most theropod paleontologists,   I believe view Paronychodon, a tooth taxon, as not valid and I'll point to Evans/Currie paper 2019 showing this morph present on premax teeth of Saurornitholestes and Velociraptor. 

Thanks! I figured from the get go it wasn't Paronychodon since by definition that thing has no serrations, but I wanted to be sure.

I've been seeing a lot of "Paronychodon" teeth for sale that wind up being this morphology. I have seen and acquired one from hell creek that fit the actual Paronychodon morphology with the lines and no serrations.