Fossil Skunks; Spilogale

kauffy

Hey Everyone,

Well after searching pleistocene micro fossil bags, and doing some trades with other members, and accumulating a very nice small collection of many mammal fossils i have become very interested in fossil skunks. Theres just something that about them that has got me hooked...it would be really great if some other members who have absolutley any skunk material in there collection could show me? (fossilised not modern! :P)i would greatly appriciate any pictures of them!

thanks a lot!

Chris

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

ok well heres my 2cents worth, heres my small skunk collection! they all come from the Late pleistocene of Marion FL. except the black on in the center which comes from the Santa Fe River FL.

post-142-1207043755_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Off Topic: Years ago while on a backpacking trip, myself and two friends saw a Spotted Skunk in the hills of E Ky one night after we had set up camp. They are supposed to be very rare around here.

i guess its not really off topic, but cool! those spotted skunks are awesome

Afraid I don't have any skunk fossils but you sure are starting to have

quite the collection!

Welcome to the forum!

thanks Roz :)

ok does anyone have any good references on skunk fossils? papers, wesite links ect?

Thanks

Chris

I saw a spotted skunk once in Augusta, Georgia when I was throwing a paper route.

In Pleistocene Mammals from Ladds, Bartow County, Georgia a scientific paper presented to the Georgia Academy of Science in 1968 by Clayton Ray he reports that three kinds of skunks were found: spotted, striped, and hog-nosed. The latter was far out of its modern range. There's a nice drawing comparing the upper teeth of the hog-nosed and the striped skunk. The hog-nosed tooth is much larger, but this particular fossil resembles in shape the striped though Ray says its definitely a hog-nosed. He does note that some hog-nosed teeth have this labial curve

There was also an extinct species of skunk--the short-faced skunk--during the Pleistocene.

Just google Pleistocene skunks or just skunks. You'll get some more information.

I saw a spotted skunk once in Augusta, Georgia when I was throwing a paper route.

In Pleistocene Mammals from Ladds, Bartow County, Georgia a scientific paper presented to the Georgia Academy of Science in 1968 by Clayton Ray he reports that three kinds of skunks were found: spotted, striped, and hog-nosed. The latter was far out of its modern range. There's a nice drawing comparing the upper teeth of the hog-nosed and the striped skunk. The hog-nosed tooth is much larger, but this particular fossil resembles in shape the striped though Ray says its definitely a hog-nosed. He does note that some hog-nosed teeth have this labial curve

There was also an extinct species of skunk--the short-faced skunk--during the Pleistocene.

Just google Pleistocene skunks or just skunks. You'll get some more information.

Thanks a lot Mark,

I will go see what I can dig up on that scientific paper. Perhaps i might be able to get a copy from the Australian Geological Library....hmm maybe at the museum or University. If not i will look for it online.

ive searched google for a long time searching "fossil skunks" "skunk teeth" ect ect and have come up with some good modern skull comparisons...but there doesnt seem to be much on the older ones! i dont know how i didnt think of pleistocene skunks... ;)

Regards

Guest Nicholas

I tried looking for some info for you Chris, but only came up with people that like putting modern Skunk skeletons together.

Thanks Nick! :D yeah there does not seem to be much on google...?? hmm

Guest Nicholas
Thanks Nick! :D yeah there does not seem to be much on google...?? hmm

No not much at all, but they do exist! :P

Kauffy - you can also buy a replica modern skunk skull for tooth and skull element comparison, they are not very expensive:

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/striped_skunk_skull.html

Or a real modern skull for comparison, also not very expensive:

http://www.robbiesgifts4u.citymax.com/page/page/1800533.htm

http://www.boneroom.com/bone/animalskulls.html

The above are pretty low cost... just google skunk skull

Hey Guys, Yes i did see that skunk madible for sale on ebay, i was going to bid but the shipping costs were outrageous! he wanted 15$ to send it! :o

Thanks for those links on where to buy skunk skull comparisons, i was thinking about getting one. I have aready got quite a lot of comparison skunk skull pictures from the web to use. But im sure theres nothing better than having a skull in my own hands for comparison. I would like a real one, but im not sure if quaranteen would allow it through?

hmm i will look into it.

Cheers

C.K

Cris showed me this in the Chat room, its a great read, and an awesome find. This is a miocene skunk! beautiful one at that!

very interesting!

thanks cris!

• 4 weeks later...

ok everyone...i have an idea! i was thinking of writing up a critical anylysis between as many fossil skunk species as i can get my hands on. Comparing and contrasting there dentition. It would be a ton of fun and i would be able to learn a lot more about these critters. I already have some good information from the web, and trying to get a few papers would be nice but i would like to try and anylise the teeth on my own....what do you guys think? think its worth giving a go? i really only need one more species (hog nosed skunk) on order to do comparatives between the main specie groups. I would keep them all pleistocene as a control and perhaps i can compare and contrast between the fossils and the modern dentition...? perhaps it would be good to buy some replica skulls of each specie if this were possible.

Hmm what do you guys think about my project? and sugestions? ideas on what else i could put into my report?

Chris

i think i need to start by trying to accumulate as much skunk as possible to be sure that individual differences do not affect the analysis.....

• 12 years later...