Are these fossils?

MelissaL

My backyard has a large area where it's mainly rocky, meaning you can't really dig. Separating it from the "nice" grassy side of the yard is a hill. My daughter and I have found fossils there of bivalves and snails. I've attached some pictures of what I found today.

But my question is regard to these tiny, circular, flat pieces that seem to cover the hill (first 3 pictures). I'm thinking they're a fossil of some kind, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

IMG-3771.PNG

IMG-3763.jpg

IMG-3769.PNG

IMG-3760.jpg

IMG-3761.jpg

IMG-3766.PNG

IMG-3762.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

G. I don't think so. Had this ready to go.

The little flat disks are concretions. typically, a small percentage will have fossils in them though. 

Al Dente, typing in Foram also showed pictures of Nummulite fossils. I'm not sure which mine would be though or if they're just concretions as Rockwood suggested. Either way, I think they've been narrowed down a bit. So thanks for that.

35 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The little flat disks are concretions. typically, a small percentage will have fossils in them though. 

If these were found in Florida then I'd guess many are forams and some could be flattened echinoids (i.e. "sand dollars"). Echinoids will have pentagonally symmetrical markings on them and forams generally have spiraled markings. You may need to look under magnification to see any of this. A bit of cleaning by soaking some in vinegar for a minute and then soaking with fresh water may remove some of the encrustation. You have a number to experiment with and if they are forams or echinoids, they should be calcitic and hold up to a weak acid treatment fairly well.

Give them a bit of a cleaning and see if you can get some close-up images. Probably tough with a smart phone (the camera of choice these days). Many have used small slip-on diopters made for these phones to help with micro-photos. You should be able to find an inexpensive one online. That will certainly help us to see these better. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, Ken. I'll clean some and see what I can see. Thanks for the feedback.

I think they are orbitulins.
I pass this photo of my orbitulins for you to compare them.

Mine are the same size too.

IMG_20210818_172507009.jpg.c6c58bcddf3a9201409cf408adebc7e8.jpg.b8d58542c38af3e24b768f4598036c65.jpg

Edited by Paleorunner
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Orbitolina concava?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

@MelissaL

They are Orbitolina texana, forams.  Chances are your house is located in the upper Glen Rose Formation.

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@MelissaL

They are Orbitolina texana, forams.  Chances are your house is located in the upper Glen Rose Formation.

I missed it by this (      ) much. :)

• Enjoyed 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Here's a fun trip report featuring the Glen Rose formation - in the photos included, you can see that around the sea urchin (echinoid) fossils found, there sit many forams like yours. Hopefully this is inspiration to keep a keen eye out around your local rock outcrops - hiding among those forams you may just find fossils like those below :)

• I found this Informative 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

12 hours ago, MelissaL said:

My backyard has a large area where it's mainly rocky, meaning you can't really dig. Separating it from the "nice" grassy side of the yard is a hill. My daughter and I have found fossils there of bivalves and snails. I've attached some pictures of what I found today.

But my question is regard to these tiny, circular, flat pieces that seem to cover the hill (first 3 pictures). I'm thinking they're a fossil of some kind, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

IMG-3771.PNG

IMG-3763.jpg

IMG-3769.PNG

Had to edit my post.That'll teach me not to read all posts in a thread!  agreed. forams

Edited by hemipristis

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana