Porous object

Rockwood

Having played around old equipment all my life, I think I know what this is, but it just looks so much like a fossil I had to check.

Hint: It fails a tap test. 

IMG_5583 (2).JPG

IMG_5584 (2).JPG

Oh. I forgot to add, the little dark fuzz on the right-hand end of it is where I held it over a lighter. Something organic was just lodged in the pores I believe.

It is layers of fiberglass mesh? Part of a boat hull or something that floats in water?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

24 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It is layers of fiberglass mesh? Part of a boat hull or something that floats in water?

I think both would give off a strong synthetic odor if burned. This was unaffected by it. 

Before the age of hydraulic power transfer, they used cable systems with spools that were engaged by a clutching system. Some early tractors had thrust bearings (what you are pushing on when you disengage a clutch) made of a porous substance that had been impregnated with graphite. I think this was likely the case with this material. I think it may be essentially a piece of a large thrust bearing.

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Before the age of hydraulic power transfer, they used cable systems with spools that were engaged by a clutching system. Some early tractors had thrust bearings (what you are pushing on when you disengage a clutch) made of a porous substance that had been impregnated with graphite. I think this was likely the case with this material. I think it may be essentially a piece of a large thrust bearing.

Any comparable images?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If it's not, and it actually is a fossil, I would just say The Texas Rule applies here - "if it's cretaceous and you don't know what it is, then it's probably a rudist"  :BigSmile:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

1 hour ago, Jared C said:

If it's not, and it actually is a fossil, I would just say The Texas Rule applies here - "if it's cretaceous and you don't know what it is, then it's probably a rudist"  :BigSmile:

I would put the word "strange" right before the word "rudist"! :)

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Any comparable images?

Well, the image is more of my father describing the job repairing cable drive systems. That's a big part of why I decided to post it.

2 hours ago, Jared C said:

Yay ! My first use of the rule. :thumbsu:

Although similar to the texture of the rudist, Durania, it is not the same.  

It looks like something manmade you could flake apart with a knife. Any other photos?

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Piece of woven asbestos friction plate, clutch plate or brake pad? Here's an image of a thin friction plate.

131-1832-friction-disc-pdb40070_2_orig (1).jpg

• I found this Informative 2

“Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" 

Descartes

Here's a shot of it under florescent light.

I'm forced to adjust my thinking on this one more time. The asbestos suggestion is a fine fit for the sense I get doing a tap test on it. Wood like only a bit more dampened. Had the pores been reservoirs for lubricant, as I suggested, likely it would not have been so thoroughly washed away. It takes a week to get the grease off one's hands after replacing clutch plates even. The holes would serve nicely as breaks to thermal conduction. Assuring that heat stay insulated from working break parts.

I'm afraid I missed out on the Texas rule again.

IMG_5589 (2).JPG