Wisconsin Trilobites?

JWfossils123

Hey all!

I'm new to this site, but I've been interested in fossils all my life. I kind of joined this forum on a whim since I've been doing a lot of internet surfing recently. I'm on a quest of sorts to try and find any trilobite remains in my state, (I live in Green Bay, WI) but I'm not having much luck. I've been all over the internet looking for any known collecting sites in Wisconsin. I'm well aware of places like Fossil Park in Sylvania, Ohio, and I'd absolutely love to have a chance to visit Penn-Dixie in northwest New York, but I don't really have the time, so I've been trying to find somewhere in Wisconsin that I can drive out to for a day or two. However, I haven't had much success. I've heard of some more well-known sites, but I can't really figure out if any of them are open to collecting of any kind, and I'd rather know beforehand. I've used this website (Click here) to try and narrow my search, but I can't really find much info on any of these places or what kind of fossils they may have. One of the most promising leads I currently have is Olde Stone Quarry in Door County. It's an old limestone quarry, but I'd still like to know if there's somewhere more promising for looking for trilos. Any opinions?

(Summary): Anybody know of any specific places in Wisconsin where one can search for trilobites? I can't find much info on collecting. Any leads are appreciated :ironic:

This Website 's information is very old, (up to over 140 years old)  but is a good place to start your research from.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to do a lot of research and bushwhacking to find your own sites to explore, and collect at.

Be sure to respect private property lines and ask for permission where necessary.

Google, and Google Earth/Google Maps are your friends.  :)

Good luck.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's always a good idea to join a local fossil club.  They organize collecting trips, and its a great way to meet people and share information.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...

I can't tell you where exactly, but the Geology club that operates out of Oshkosh, cites Door County as a great place to find them.