Chatting with Lizardite about Northern California geology

DPS Ammonite

@lizardite I thought that we should move this interesting reminiscing about northern California geology and paleontology out of the member introduction section so that more people might see it.

Continuation from: 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/122442-greetings-from-carlsbad/&tab=comments#comment-1339414

Here is one of my interesting finds from the Bay Area. The most recent palm fossil found in Northern California. I could not convince UC Berkeley to keep it.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Wow that's pretty cool! And the analysis is impressive. What's the preservation? Silica replacement?

Back to the Santa Clara Gravels briefly then. I believe the type locality for this formation is Coal Mine Ridge, and it's called that because you can find significant amounts of lignite there along Alpine Road. Makes me wonder whether anyone has looked into the source of that material. I'll have to look into it.

The site is mixed lake, stream and basaltic volcanic deposits. There are lots of silicified Miocene lacustrine stromatolites and / or hot spring deposits along with petrified wood, freshwater snails, palm roots a few few nondescript bones.

Here is a 14 cm wide piece of silicified hot spring deposit or stromatolite from the site.

3A72892C-C4D5-444B-B355-E0EC5372AF15.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I did not know any of that was there! Though I did know there was some fairly recent volcanism in the Berkeley area. 

I was at the site with a geologist who mapped the site in the 60s. He does not remember seeing all the interesting rocks.

Here is what I think might be a silicified stromatolite.

DB0B7805-FFA7-4FD7-AD9F-5C89A8E73079.jpeg