I've heard paleontologist say there will never be a dinosaur fossil found in Indiana ...

Redbearded812

... I found a micro raptor and need help with it's verification.

Pics coming soon, found in a valley in a ravine in one of the lowest elevations on earth. I can feel the skepticism just as I see it on the faces of those in the area that I have showed. I've even reached out to Indiana university in  Bloomington and they have not responded to any of my emails.

Yes, we will need to see photos. There will be a massive amount of doubt about an extraordinary claim, and the probability is likely not in favour of such a narrow choice that does not accord with the geologic age of the bedrock of Indiana. Also, the lowest elevation in Indiana is 320 feet above sea level, so perhaps not one of the lowest elevations on earth (https://gisgeography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Indiana-Map-Reference.pdf

• I Agree 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” Carl Sagan.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 6

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

• digit changed the title to I've heard paleontologist say there will never be a dinosaur fossil found in in Indiana..I found a micro raptor and need help with it's verification

Identification answered in other (related) topic.

4 hours ago, Redbearded812 said:

Pics coming soon, found in a valley in a ravine in one of the lowest elevations on earth. I can feel the skepticism just as I see it on the faces of those in the area that I have showed.

Your ravine where this was found may have been a locally low point but it if far from the being "one of the lowest elevations on earth". The lowest point in Indiana is the Ohio River at 320 above sea level. For Kentucky it is the Mississippi River at 257 feet above sea level. The lowest point in the US is famously Death Valley at 282 BELOW sea level significantly below any point near you.

Given that the geology in the area where your item was found predates "micro raptors" by many millions of years going lower through those exposures won't get you closer to the Triassic but only further.

Skepticism is often warranted when claims don't match up with the known facts. You'll have to understand that this is a natural response.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

No dinosaur fossils in Indiana unless somebody brought one in and threw it away. This has been common knowledge for a very long time. Do you have the entire animal or just a tooth or bone?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• Fossildude19 changed the title to I've heard paleontologist say there will never be a dinosaur fossil found in in Indiana ...
  • digit changed the title to I've heard paleontologist say there will never be a dinosaur fossil found in Indiana ...
7 hours ago, digit said:

Your ravine where this was found may have been a locally low point but it if far from the being "one of the lowest elevations on earth". The lowest point in Indiana is the Ohio River at 320 above sea level. For Kentucky it is the Mississippi River at 257 feet above sea level. The lowest point in the US is famously Death Valley at 282 BELOW sea level significantly below any point near you.

From Florida 320 feet may seem like a mountain but from here that's lower than the temperature of the south pole during the Pleistocene. :P

While we're throwing out lowest elevations of the states, Colorado's is 3,315 feet. :oO:

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Lowest point in Illinois is 279 feet above sea level, Mississippi River at Cairo.

Mark.

I'm curious what you are referring to in this and do you have a picture?                 

" I live in Southwest Indiana. I came across a formation of slate or shale at the mouth of a recently dried up creek in the woods on my property in October of 2020, that I would still call a work of art and was definitely at the time, for me, unexplainable. I'm almost 40 and my entire life I walked the creeks, fields hills and rivers and seeing something that i couldn't  comprehend, something that my buddies and my pops couldn't comprehend, not knowing that almost 2 years later I would be obsessed with rocks and nature and gemstones and fossils and the overall history of how and y the region was the way it was.  "                                                  

On 4/8/2022 at 3:35 AM, Redbearded812 said:

Pics coming soon

:popcorn:

Mark.