TiffMarie

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what these might be?! My boys were ecstatic to find them. Thanks!!

found in Post Oak Creek, TX

35D29FF1-4AEC-47BF-9A46-35A33E6E0C9B.jpeg

B0BFFCA4-F067-4020-8795-BFF258115CD4.jpeg

60F44EE6-04C3-44C4-AC5B-1D07B30F1DC9.jpeg

They're both broken and quite worn. It will be difficult for even the experts on shark teeth to ID even just the genus.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

There are only a couple of large lamniform genera present in POC, the largest on average seems to be Cretodus. The rooted one is Cretodus crassidens in my book - it has cusplets and a large, robust root with a high lingual protuberance (for sure not Cretalamna or Cretoxyrhina). You may see small ridges at the foot of the crown, depending on how worn it is. The other one is also likely Cretodus based on the shape and size of the crown.

• I Agree 3

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I agree with @ThePhysicist, these are Cretodus. Cretodus is very prevalent in Post Oak. Although it’s not Cretodus crassidens, at least not anymore. That’s not valid in the States anymore, only in Europe. It’s now Cretodus houghtonorum

• I found this Informative 1

19 hours ago, Captcrunch227 said:

I agree with @ThePhysicist, these are Cretodus. Cretodus is very prevalent in Post Oak. Although it’s not Cretodus crassidens, at least not anymore. That’s not valid in the States anymore, only in Europe. It’s now Cretodus houghtonorum

Thanks for the update, that paper is now next on my reading list. Upon first glance, I'm not sure that C. houghtonorum is in NTX, I haven't seen any laterals with double cusplets; but I'll have to actually read it before I can really say anything. 

17455478_ScreenShot2022-04-11at6_24_39PM.thumb.png.6830b96fb1838d38b077d32cb3cd70bc.png

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff