Unknown Tooth, Horse? Peace River, Pleistocene/Pliocene

Bone Daddy

Here is a partial tooth I found in the Peace River (Bone Valley, FL) on a recent trip. It's broken, but the crown remains. I think it's horse, but does anyone have any idea what horse species this is, or if it's not horse, then what could it be? 

Thanks!

newtooth-a.thumb.JPG.771fe96dcf181c9f5d4cb4bfa90b8168.JPG

newtooth-1.JPG

newtooth-2.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

I am afraid that it is a horse, and that it is Equus .sp.

We have numerous horse Genus through the long history of Horses in Florida... just go an read most of Bruce McFadden' research papers to understand.. and when he and other Florida scientists differentiated between Horse Genus with complete skeletons, and generally had many more differences in bones and measurements than just the variation in similar teeth.

So we find teeth that have variations in size measurements and in some cases how the occlusal surface looks, and some want to say: that  there are pre_Equus horse Genus that are almost like Equus but have some slight variations in their teeth.

Just as lots of Neohipparion complete skeletons have been found (Thomas Farm),, and lots of Equus skeletons also,  we need to have complete skeletons of horses that fit between toed and Equus.

IMG_5124text.thumb.jpg.58550a166aea76407fe686915de881ce.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"