Sign in to follow this  
Jesta384

York/james River Beach Crawl?

Jesta384

Ive been on forums for groupes and hobbies of all sorts. So many times there are meets to show your stuff or even pub crawls.

Well I think it would be much more fitting for us VA fossilers to have a "Beach Crawl" for a day. I can think of the colonial parkway and other spots on the rivers that would be great for a few of us to go crawling along. Any one game for weekend adventure? Maybe a caravan to some Western VA shale on the blue ridge?

bmorefossil

I wish you were up here in md I would be down for any day of the week. I'm always looking to get out and hunt. Maybe one of these days ill drive on back down that way.

Phoenixflood

Ive been on forums for groupes and hobbies of all sorts. So many times there are meets to show your stuff or even pub crawls.

Well I think it would be much more fitting for us VA fossilers to have a "Beach Crawl" for a day. I can think of the colonial parkway and other spots on the rivers that would be great for a few of us to go crawling along. Any one game for weekend adventure? Maybe a caravan to some Western VA shale on the blue ridge?

What's out in Western VA? :unsure:

Jesta384

What's out in Western VA? :unsure:

the appalachian area has shale with articulated bugs, birds and the like. There is also mudshale around richmond with flora fossils...i saw someoen digging through somethign in NC and looked at some geological maps - looked like it spread up around richmond....worth looking into i guess?

I live in Newport News so a BBQ would be in order as well.

Im sure i could find my way up in MD sometime this summer....

Rocks Anne

I'd love it! I live near Hampton.

Graham

I'd love it! I live near Hampton.

Sam here, for most of the year. I did some beach scavanging along the James River in Surry County a few months ago. I was mainly looking for driftwood and fish skeletons, but I found a lot of really nice fossilized scallop shells. Some of them are huge!

Auspex

Sam here, for most of the year. I did some beach scavanging along the James River in Surry County a few months ago. I was mainly looking for driftwood and fish skeletons, but I found a lot of really nice fossilized scallop shells. Some of them are huge!

Those would be Chesapecten jeffersonius; VA state fossil, and the first fossil described from the new world.

Graham

Those would be Chesapecten jeffersonius; VA state fossil, and the first fossil described from the new world.

Awesome! Some of them have a really rich black coloration. I think I only have 1 complete large one.

Paleoc

Chesapecten762x800.jpg

James River near Jamestown, About 7 inches across

cck

Graham that's not Jeffersonuis but middlesexenis. Jeffersonious has 10-11 ribs on the shell.