Vertebra

Rockwood

Another one from the west branch of the Trinity River, in north central Texas. Is there enough to ID it further ?

IMG_5595 (2).JPG

IMG_5594 (2).JPG

IMG_5591 (2).JPG

IMG_5590 (2).JPG

IMG_5593 (2).JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Nice one dude!

My money is on Mosasaur.

Edited by jikohr
misspoke
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Yes, with one convex and one concave surface like that, I would say mosasaur. 

Nice find. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

Congrats! Hope that helps smooth out the rough edges of Texas :D

We take our edges rough in Texas and we like it!

• I Agree 1

The preservation and 'openness' of the bone structure is wrong for mosasaur.  Check out horse vertebrae.

• I Agree 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Eh. That's okay. It's still a fossil. It's just a shame it took all the sense with it when it died. Your roads could have used some. ;)

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Eh. That's okay. It's still a fossil. It's just a shame it took all the sense with it when it died. Your roads could have used some. ;)

Ain't that the truth.

My family and I moved here to Houston in 96 and I distinctly remember roads to the North being under construction that have never NOT been under construction the entire time I've lived here.

To a back woods Mainer building an intersection the size of a parking lot so you can fit a freeway in the middle of the road just seems odd.

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

To a back woods Mainer building an intersection the size of a parking lot so you can fit a freeway in the middle of the road just seems odd.

I’m sure you’ve noticed a significantly larger population in Dallas/Fort Worth than Maine. (~7.7 million vs 1.3 million). A two lane road with a nice traffic circle is not going to cut it. :rolleyes:. That’s life in a big city!  

I don't think Texas made a very good impression on @Rockwood, he's not a big fan of the format of our roads and highways, the confusing service roads and multiple lane markers, traffic, hogs, snakes, catalytic converter thieves, thorny bramble and blackberry, thorny vines, bull nettle, and the 2" dagger thorns on mesquite trees. But he does have a truckload of fossils :)

• Enjoyed 1