Vertebra ID please

Lone Hunter

A bit of a vertebra theme tonight so thought I'd jump in, found this in creek in Cretaceous Eagle Ford but the area is QT and QAL also. It's not fully mineralized just like most bones from around here,  I think it looks like croc but it's very worn so could be wrong.

IMG_20220409_230013304~2.jpg

IMG_20220409_230340421.jpg

IMG_20220409_230235959~2.jpg

IMG_20220409_230136159.jpg

Try a few more photos from right angles.  These oblique views are not as useful.  ;)

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

These are still oblique views.  They become more meaningful if they are associated with more standard views like these:

Screenshot_20220412-000741~2.png

Do you think it's cretaceous? Usually the pores on cretaceous bone are "filled in", at least in my experience.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

I agree that this looks crocodilian to me, but I'm far from versed in their vertebral material... Doesn't look like mosasaur, in any case, and it's not "square" enough looking for horse, in my opinion.

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

It has all the characteristics of an eroded mammal vertebra.

14 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

It has all the characteristics of an eroded mammal vertebra.

Just for my information, what aspects of the vertebra are you looking at for this?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

10 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Just for my information, what aspects of the vertebra are you looking at for this?

Primarily the open cell cancellous bone and large neural channel.

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Primarily the open cell cancellous bone and large neural channel.

Gotcha, thanks! Though I thought the vascularisation in crocodilian bone is also quite high, isn't it? At least in examples I've seen, like this one... Although, it would make sense for crocodile bone to be denser than terrestrial mammal bone, as crocodiles need to overcome the problem of neural buoyancy, of course.

• I found this Informative 2

I thought I covered every angle, I would think it's Pleistocene rather than Cretaceous.

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jared C said:

Do you think it's cretaceous? Usually the pores on cretaceous bone are "filled in", at least in my experience.

I suspect it is from a cleaner gravel deposit, or has been rinsing longer. It is distinct from the mammal and bird bones I have found for some reason.

8 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

I thought I covered every angle,

I was hoping for right angles to the basic form like these.

IMG_20220412_094156807_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220412_094306655_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220412_094658758_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220412_095012783_HDR.jpg

This horse thoracic vertebrae has a 1.5 inch 'diameter' posterior centrum and an overall 4.75 inch width.  Also of note are the foramina within the neural canal and the side of the centrum. 

IMG_20220412_095113052_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220412_095026029_HDR.jpg

@Lone Hunter's vertebra has a comparable morphology and details.  Her find has been broken and heavily eroded.  One could imagine my piece looking similar if undergoing the same environmental abuse.

For what it's worth here's a few more shots.  I had a sneaky feeling you would say it's horse, isn't this a little too small though? :s_confused: 

IMG_20220412_172657549~2.jpg

IMG_20220412_173034139~2.jpg

IMG_20220412_172741808~2.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

23 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

isn't this a little too small though?

Could be a caudal.