Winner of the March 2022 Invertebrate/Plant Fossil Of The Month

digit

Congratulation!

Wanted to add some historical information about Muricidae family.

It was the common source of magenta red during Byzantine times. The actual name of the colour code was "Tyrian purple", since the first people started using it were the Phoenicians, if I remember it well from primary school.

Nowadays, it is a very common species found everywhere around Mediterranean, mostly in shallow sandy water and around reefs. Quite painful if you step hard on it :unsure: 

Congratulations!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@Dimitris, you definitely know your classical history! :D Though I also knew the origin of the imperial purple pigment, I had no idea that it was this particular gastropod that was involved. Very interesting!

And of course: congratulations Dominque! These specimens are indeed of true beauty, and your win is very much deserved! :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Hi,

Congrats for these very nice shells ! :wub:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• digit unfeatured this topic