Awesome day at Peace River FL... Need help IDing this vertebrae...

Idelond

Yesterday was awesome.... A day trip on Peace River never fails... Had some great finds... By the way, did all my search by "Fossil Noodling"... Spent all day just feeling around the floor with my hands and feet...  It's my new favorite way of looking for fossils... =)

P.S.... Need help identifying the vertebrae. Thanks.

PXL_20220410_152655627.jpg

PXL_20220410_152657907.jpg

PXL_20220410_152700785.jpg

PXL_20220410_152708158.jpg

PXL_20220410_152712401.jpg

PXL_20220410_152716345.jpg

PXL_20220410_152726998.jpg

PXL_20220410_152740561.jpg

PXL_20220410_153052735.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I don't think I have ever grubbed with my hands in the bottom of the Peace, but I've done that many times on other river bottoms.  One alternative to avoid slashed fingers is a stubby garden cultivator -- the sort that has 4 metal tines.  You can drag those tines through the sediment instead of dragging your fingers.  You can feel it when a tine hits something interesting.  Add a lanyard to your wrist, and leather gloves, and you'll be ready to score.

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Unfortunately,  I do not recognize the vertebra.  However,  I have been hunting the Peace River for 15 years... It is not horse, bison, cow, llama, or marine mammal.  Looking at the size,  it might be Armadillo,  Sloth, Glyptodon  family...   would suggest you do an internet search with each possibility..  i.e "Fossil Armadillo Vertebra"...     That is what I would try while waiting for identification.

• I Agree 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I love verts and have a box full of them. Having said that, I don't know what this one is. It's not dugong and I don't think it's deer. I found a sloth vert once, but it didn't look like this. I'm stumped. Nice find.

Reminds me of sloth caudals that I've found. I would follow up on what @Shellseeker suggested focusing on caudals. You can tell it's a caudal by the tiny neural canal which you would only find in a tail bone.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

On 4/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Harry Pristis said:

I don't think I have ever grubbed with my hands in the bottom of the Peace, but I've done that many times on other river bottoms.  One alternative to avoid slashed fingers is a stubby garden cultivator -- the sort that has 4 metal tines.  You can drag those tines through the sediment instead of dragging your fingers.  You can feel it when a tine hits something interesting.  Add a lanyard to your wrist, and leather gloves, and you'll be ready to score.

Got me one of these...

Screenshot_20220413-172246.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1