Help ID this please!!

Kez035

Hi, we are currently on holiday on the Isle of Wight, and found this on Compton Beach. Any help with what we have found (something or nothing?) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

20220410_184442.jpg

20220410_184454.jpg

20220410_184505.jpg

20220410_184515.jpg

20220410_184523.jpg

It has the appearance of being some spill of molten material, which fell on top of the rock, and subsequently cooled, and solidified.:zzzzscratchchin:

Do you think? I'm not sure what that could be and this appears to be embedded in the rock, not sitting on it.

34 minutes ago, Kez035 said:

Do you think? I'm not sure what that could be and this appears to be embedded in the rock, not sitting on it.

I'm sorry, but it's what apparently, from the way I see it in the photos, I think it may be, but I can't say that it is.

I see what @Paleorunner is getting at. It does look like something spilled on this. Hard to see with only pictures. 

Regardless, not seeing a fossil here. This looks geological in origin, not biological. 

• I Agree 1

It looks like a phosphate nodule embedded in a metamorphic sedimentary matrix.  The banding of the  individual layers abut the nodule consistently at an oblique angle and the contact margins are clearly defined.  This tells me that the matrix formed around the nodule rather than a concretion filling a void or cavity.  Every rock tells a story!

• I found this Informative 1