Central Texas - Ambergris ?

ThomasM

A couple of years ago, It finally dawned on me that my property outside of Austin is actually an exposed fossilized coral reef.   It was that day , I stopped looking up at the oaks, and started looking down at the rocks. 

Since then, I have found some great fossils, however none as unusual as this one.  It was strange to see a rock with color standing out from all others which are almost exclusively white. It was the contrast that caught my eye. 

I acknowledge many have thought they found Ambergris, just to be disappointed.  Thus, I would not make the claim here without first being unable to answer the question, "If not Ambergris, then what is it?"

The specimen is composed of so many different layers and veins that I can not come to any normal identification.

I look forward to someone with more knowledge and a better eye,  posting a more educated opinion than the one I am able to offer. 

Best to all -

TM 

Central TX

TM1.jpg

TM2.jpg

TM3.jpg

TM4.jpg

Edited by ThomasM

Hello, Thomas and welcome to the forum from Austin.  I think I'm seeing a chert nodule.  The crypto-crystaline quartz vein I see in the 4th photo [LHS] would tend to support this id I'd think.

• I Agree 5

+1 for chert nodule.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Thomas,

As @grandpa and Tim @Fossildude19 said, you found an interesting chunk of chalcedony and chert or jasper.  Here is a similar piece.

IMG_20220411_170050826_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220411_165848139_HDR.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here in central texas, the ground below us comes from the Cretaceous period. Sperm whales, the producers of ambergris, didn't evolve until 20 million years ago, in the Miocene. The earliest whales in general didn't evolve until after the cretaceous as well

• I found this Informative 5

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Ambergris is highly flammable. If it won't burn, it's not ambergris. Fossil ambergris is a dull grey color about 99% of the time, and when it isn't it's a dull beige color.

• I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

As already stated, its most probably a chert nodule with some veining.

7 hours ago, ThomasM said:

I have found some great fossils,

Would you like to show off some of them? Many thanks!

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1