Kem Kem tooth

BirdsAreDinosaurs

Hi all. This tooth (about 2 cm) is advertised as Rugops and I have seen some similar teeth online with the same id. I am pretty sure that that is not what this is as it does not look Abelisaurid at all, but I have no idea what it could be. Especially the distal edge seems pretty weird to me (like it is a double edge), although these pictures from the seller are not great. The mesial edge does seem to be serrated. Is this even a theropod tooth? Thanks!

Screenshot_20220412-195145_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-195106_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-195123_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-195214_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here are my thoughts on this tooth. First off, the "double edge" on the distal carina appears to be a wear facet, and if it is theropod it's definitely theropod indet. It looks similar to morph type 6 from troodon's morphology post.  Here's a photo of the morph type 6 from his post.

Morph8B.thumb.jpg.db46843dafd78c6ac88882775cffb0a4.jpg 

• I Agree 1

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

1 minute ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

Here are my thoughts on this tooth. First off, the "double edge" on the distal carina appears to be a wear facet, and if it is theropod it's definitely theropod indet. It looks similar to morph type 6 from troodon's morphology post.  Here's a photo of the morph type 6 from his post.

Morph8B.thumb.jpg.db46843dafd78c6ac88882775cffb0a4.jpg 

Thanks! I agree that if it is theropod it is probably not something that is described. And yes, the distal edge could very well be feeding wear, although I have never seen it quite like this (but that doesn't say much as I am fairly new to the game).

I'm not getting a good view of the distal edge there should be serrations.  Not an area that sees feeding wear.  It just could be that edge had broken off and is not complete.

Thanks, Troodon. The seller offers a second, very similar tooth with better looking serrations on the mesial edge. The image of the distal side is better for this tooth. The edge looks more damaged than the first tooth and might indeed be broken off. It does however seem weird that the distal edges of the two teeth are so similar shapewise. Also, the distal edge near the tip of this second tooth seems intact, but still double edged. I still don't know what to make of this.

Screenshot_20220412-211808_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-211820_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-211836_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think they are just busted up Abelisaurid teeth. I saw that tooth too, and was initially intrigued, but quickly noticed the distal side being cleaved off. Not sure if it's still there right now, but given no one touched it for quite a while, I figured I wasn't the only one who though, it's probably just a broken abelisaurid / cf. Rugops tooth.

I think the way the distal edge is missing gives it a misleading shape, because from the looks of it, none of it is intact and the whole section is missing.

12 minutes ago, Kikokuryu said:

I think they are just busted up Abelisaurid teeth. I saw that tooth too, and was initially intrigued, but quickly noticed the distal side being cleaved off. Not sure if it's still there right now, but given no one touched it for quite a while, I figured I wasn't the only one who though, it's probably just a broken abelisaurid / cf. Rugops tooth.

I think the way the distal edge is missing gives it a misleading shape, because from the looks of it, none of it is intact and the whole section is missing.

Thanks, that's probaby it. The distal edge of the first tooth appears pretty smooth for a breakage, but the picture is not great and yours is a very plausible explanation (perhaps the tooth was already damaged while the animal was still alive and "polished" while feading?).