Two finds from Delaware

BigJim

I took my son to the Chesapeake and Delaware canal spoil piles at reedy point a few weeks ago and found these two small pieces. They stood out but I’m not sure if they’re actually anything interesting or not. 

0E1E047B-A7F0-49A1-A527-8C43752DE25D.jpeg

E2420196-314A-4C05-9812-4923B84CD583.jpeg

1FFA2A46-85B7-45CF-A7C6-F44BE131FEB8.jpeg

7DFA5EE7-F556-4FCB-B65C-93DEB331DE75.jpeg

27489C31-4E41-42B1-A126-89AAD6A9E558.jpeg

I would not put money on it, but I was thinking of mouse humerus for the first , though I would like some  photos to  see better.  the second may just be ironstone-- in any case I dont recognize it.  they both could be just ironstone pieces

The  first one is a toe bone.  Look at the end near the 0 on your ruler.  It is round, has divots on the sides (barely visible in the first two pix) and most importantly a ridge along the round surface in the middle, best seen in the third photo.  Metapodial.  Hard to say from here of it complete as the other end is a tough read. 

Edited by jpc
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, val horn said:

I would not put money on it, but I was thinking of mouse humerus for the first

Interesting thought and it is about the right size, but the shape is wrong.  I have attached a picture of a mouse humerus and it is indeed a little over a cm long but I think you can see the shaft is much thinner and the ends are distinctly different that what was posted.

B0068_Mouse_Humerus_LI.thumb.jpg.0c8ab58abb73e2d85bdb2417258e32e9.jpg

I think @jpc is spot on, it is a toe bone for all the reasons he pointed out, especially seeing the last picture.  The proximal end (down in the picture) looks a bit broken, but I think you can still see that it looks like the first toe bone, the one that would be attached to the ankle bones.  I don't know if that groove down the length is natural or because it is slightly crushed.

I have no idea on the other item, maybe geological rather than fossil, as others have suggested.

• Thank You 1

I think jpc is correct  i didnt see the circular hollows clearly until jpc said it i was thinking thst it was more marble shaped rather thsn concave  but he is right @Harry Pristis may be sble to give yuo a full id.

Thanks for all the info. That's a big help, I had found plenty of sources for shell and tooth Identification but not for bones.

• 2 years later...