Another rooted spino tooth

Nanotyrannus35

I found this spinosaurus tooth online. It seems to have a mostly complete root. However, it does look like it has been repaired, and there might be some restoration, but I can't tell. Thanks for any help. The tooth also appears to have some striations along the carina. 

Dinosaur-fossil-tooth-Spinosaurus-Cretaceous-Era-bigger-225.thumb.jpg.83f4b66b33a1d7bb24ea3e1fa3aad492.jpg

1487245328_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.611a991d7fb720db4bcc1e2349939942.jpg

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Looks to me like it's been broken and glued back together in at least two places. 

The enamel is missing from the crown and parts of it are covered in goop.

But I think it's real enough. 

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Not really seeing the entire tooth in these photos.  Do you have a photo of the entire opposite side?

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not really seeing the entire tooth in these photos.  Do you have a photo of the entire opposite side?

No, I don't. The seller only provided these two pictures.

Hard to make an informed comment when you cannot see the entire tooth.  Try asking for additional photos.  Don't you want to see the other side beforehand?  Might be a reason he posed the tooth this way and flipped the image

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Let me make one more point.   Although the root may be acceptable a considerably amount of tooths tip has been reconstructed to appear like the enamel has flaked off when in reality it appears that the majority of the crown is missing and filled by matrix.   Why additional photos are needed

1650026387371.jpg.a6a850792c6fd398a8dabd39b77dbda7.jpg

To bad the crown is in such rough shape, otherwise this could have been a really cool tooth! Agree with others, more picture's are needed, but in my opinion as a relative new collector it looks a real root.

1 hour ago, Phos_01 said:

To bad the crown is in such rough shape, otherwise this could have been a really cool tooth! Agree with others, more picture's are needed, but in my opinion as a relative new collector it looks a real root.

I agree, even though the root is bad, it's a really good price, and even with the restoration, I think it'd be worth it.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

I agree, even though the root is bad, it's a really good price, and even with the restoration, I think it'd be worth it.

yeah sure! You can try cleaning it up a bit, removing some  parts of the matrix

While it's not in the best shape, I think this hasn't really been tampered with. It seems all original. Perhaps it might be repaired. And the tooth crown seems to have much of it missing. But other than that I think it's a pretty okay specimen. And having an original root is pretty rare.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite