unknown fossil

Roanan

Hello, I found this in some fresh rock fall at Turimetta Headland in NSW Australia and was unsure of the identification, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_2380.jpeg

IMG_2378.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Hi Roanan and welcome to the forum.

On first look and without knowing anything about the geology of the region, it looks like fossil plant material to me.

Maybe @Plantguy and @paleoflor can tell you more?

Best Regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Cool specimen. Indeed looks like plant remains and there are known plant fossil-bearing rocks of Triassic age in the Turimetta Headland area (e.g. Newport Fm.). I know @Paleoworld-101 has collected there before. Perhaps they can help you further.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Brightened, and contrasted:

IMG_2378.jpeg.0cc6554eee7bcc84bc18c9fb0833037f.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yep, definitely a plant stem from the Newport Formation (Olenekian to Anisian in age). There isn't enough diagnostic morphology though to identify the genus or species of plant. 

Keep looking in those grey shales as you will also find plentiful leaves, which are easier to identify. 

• I found this Informative 2

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas