First time land dig for me. What type of glue to bring for securing removal of fossil from ground?

cayosusa

Usually dig in rivers, so very newbie to this.    First time to badlands.  Watched a youtube and the paleontologist is squirting some kind of glue on a tooth before they try to remove it from the earth to prevent it from breaking.  What is that glue?

Most likely a stabilizer of some kind. I use paraloid b-72 mixed 1 part b-72 to 50 parts acetone. You can saturate a fragile fossil pretty easily if they’re dry. It’s a necessary step for anything fragile. A commercial version is paleobond. 

Consolidants are typically required on some bones to keep them together during extraction.   There are a few around among these are polyvinyl butyral (Butvar), and Acryloid B-72, and PVA (polyvinyl acetate), all are good.  I use PVA and Paleobond Field Prep 4417.  The Paleobond comes pre-mixed while all the others require mixing with acetone as Titan indicated.

If you are expecting to find something articulated or larger you might consider bring plaster/plaster wrap & foil so that you can jacket the specimen and bring it home in one peice.  Have fun and good luck

13 hours ago, Titan said:

Most likely a stabilizer of some kind. I use paraloid b-72 mixed 1 part b-72 to 50 parts acetone. You can saturate a fragile fossil pretty easily if they’re dry. It’s a necessary step for anything fragile. A commercial version is paleobond. 

There areseveral different grades of paleobond. Most are not a commercial variety of paraloid b72.  (But see troodon’s comments about their 4417).  above).  Paleobond is a cyanoacrylate… superglue and behaves very differently.  B72 comes off easily with acetone, paleobond comes off with much more difficulty.   (Againsee troodon’s comments.  I have not used the stuff). I use pb all the time in the lab but never in the field.  B72 is much better in the field, but i use vinac (PVA dissolved inacetone… not elmer’s glue, which is a different type of PVA).