Heliolites Coral ?

opalbug

Howdy,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what they think about these rare coral fossils that I find on the Oregon Coast. 

They are agatized and take a nice polish.

Thank You

2709_crop.jpg

2723_crop.jpg

coral_10108283175_28.jpg

coral_pa031476_10108329516_24.jpg

coral_pa041502_10108298645_24.jpg

coral_10108229884_o.jpg

coral_10108322346_o.jpg

DSC02344_36.jpg

DSC02345_36.jpg

Edited by opalbug
  • Enjoyed 5

It's a little different than I'm used to seeing, but I think that must be close at least. Looks like a heliolitid.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Are there outcrops of the right age found along the coast? I didn’t think Ordovician, Silurian or Devonian fossils could be found there.

• Thank You 1

They look like Heliolites to me. 

Beautiful, whatever they are. :b_love1:

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you for the comments :)

@Al Dente,

The geology of Western Oregon is primarily Cenozoic.  According to one geologic map that I looked at,
there does seem to be some Paleozoic rocks about 150 miles to the Southeast of here.

In his book, "Oregon Fossils, 2nd Edition", William Orr mentions Heliolites coral from the Devonian in Eastern Oregon,
which is about 250 miles away.  There has been a lot of geologic upheaval in Oregon throughout the last
few hundred million years.  So who knows how far the rocks have traveled and what one may find.

For example, there is a spot up in the woods where I can dig in an old marine terrace that is 300' ASL
and 1.5 miles inland from the ocean.  That site produces agatized bivalves, gastropods and a couple of
small pieces of this coral.  A friend even found an agatized nautilus up there.  I haven't been up there
in a while, I need to go back soon. :hammer01:

Edited by opalbug

1 hour ago, opalbug said:

That site produces agatized bivalves, gastropods and a couple of
small pieces of this coral.  A friend even found an agatized nautilus up there.

When I think of agatized fossils from Oregon, I think of the occasional agatized nautiloids (genus Aturia) that I've seen from there. I'm wondering if your coral is from the same formation that these Aturia come from which is most likely Eocene or Oligocene, much too young for Heliolites. I'm thinking your coral might be a younger scleractinian coral. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

opalbug,

as its been noted by others, where these were found is critical to obtaining an answer to your inquiry. it appears from your posts you're prospecting in the area north and south of Newport Oregon. So if you found these south in the Nye, Yaquina, Alsea, or north in the mostly Astoria Formation is important. I would think beach cobble is unlikely to move north and south very far along the Oregon coast, so which beach you found these on is a helpful data point. 

mike

Edited by Oregon1955
word left out

2 hours ago, Oregon1955 said:

as its been noted by others, where these were found is critical to obtaining an answer to your inquiry. it 

However, it should be noted that an identification could be made another way. It's much simpler to eliminate similar possibilities in photographs in this way though.

7 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I'm thinking your coral might be a younger scleractinian coral. 

Thanks for the tip about scleractinian coral.  I will check that out.

I haven't been able to find much info about fossil coral from Western Oregon.

I was pursuing the Heliolites because 35 years ago I met an old rockhound on the beach that shared his coral with me.

He had sent some samples to one of the universities and they sent him a letter stating that his coral was from the Paleozoic

and not from the local marine strata.  Perhaps it was a mis-identification, I don't know.

I do know that we have a lot of odd alluvium rolling in the waves and buried in the hills that seems like it came from somewhere else.

Anyway, I sent my pictures to Mr. Orr.   Hopefully he will have something to share.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 10:07 PM, opalbug said:

Howdy,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what they think about these rare coral fossils that I find on the Oregon Coast. 

They are agatized and take a nice polish.

Thank You

Hey!

I was wondering if you got anywhere with identifying any of these yet, it would appear that I've found one of whatever this coral type is too. Also agatized!

You've got some great pieces by the way. I'm very curious to know if you've learned anything more on what they may be. 

D32E8ED4-2500-4179-B30C-60EDC5EA1EF3.JPG

On 6/12/2022 at 12:51 AM, Oregon Coast Agates said:

Hey!

I was wondering if you got anywhere with identifying any of these yet, it would appear that I've found one of whatever this coral type is too. Also agatized!

You've got some great pieces by the way. I'm very curious to know if you've learned anything more on what they may be. 

I've learned that there isn't much documentation about coral on the Oregon Coast

Edited by opalbug

3 hours ago, opalbug said:

I've learned that there isn't much documentation about coral on the Oregon Coast

Well I guess its back down the rabbit hole for me then.

Best of luck to you, if you're still searching for answers...

• 1 year later...

I found this post while searching for an ID on a fossil I found on the beach this month, at the north end of Lincoln City, Oregon. It looks like there is no definite ID besides "fossil coral" but I thought I might add my piece anyway, as another data point. It looks like the same thing to me. All my photos are of the same piece. @opalbug your pieces are beautifully polished!!

20240217_165145.jpg

20240217_165122.jpg

20240217_165127.jpg

20240217_165113.jpg

20240217_165101.jpg

20210306_195907_1.jpg

20210306_200841_1.jpg

20210306_200928_1.jpg

20210306_201449_1.jpg

20210306_201618_1.jpg

Edited by mossgarden
Image size formatting