Proboscidean tibia

garyc

I was able to go on a short hunt with my son and his girlfriend on the Brazos river Easter Sunday. The water had dropped a few inches and exposed a little bit more gravel that I had not been able to hunt yet. The first find of the day was a very nice sloth phalanx. On the way back I waited through the water and almost tripped over the second find. I thought it could’ve been a log. It was in about a foot of water and hard to see. The only part visible was the curve which made me think it could be a bone.  I reached into the water and dug around the perimeter of the piece and was finally able to bring it out of the mud. I was very excited to see that it is a chunk of a large proboscidean bone. Using the great resource that @Brandy Cole provided I think a possible id is mammoth/mastodon right proximal tibia. Here’s the link to the sight again that Brandy provided(I couldn’t locate it and had to ask her for it). The 3rd pic is a left tibia that I am showing to compare my find. 

0096E758-5E21-454A-8084-81589B5028D4.jpeg

52A199B0-5A10-4847-B438-15263785EABC.jpeg

E473F912-1410-4BBC-B061-C0FF7E5335FD.png

• Enjoyed 3

Very cool finds, Gary.  :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Love the patina on that Sloth toe.  SWEET !!!! Nice finds

• I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice sloth toe Gary:thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

3 hours ago, garyc said:

@Harry Pristis are you indicating that this is mastodon vs mammoth? I wasn’t sure if there was enough of the morphology to differentiate 

I'm not indicating either, Gary.  I posted my images to help YOU decide what you found.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest