April 20, 2022 Peace River small horse tooth for ID

Sacha

This small molar, which I'm assuming is to a smaller horse ancestor, measures 13mm by 23mm. I'm hoping Harry @Harry Pristis or Jack @Shellseeker can give me some additional info on it. The chewing surface looks like it's been polished down somewhat by the river.

DSCF2129.thumb.jpg.c57780bf04fd83c532d6b5f20f28fdf9.jpgDSCF2131.thumb.jpg.b8e5710e986eaad7fc5116b1b0980a21.jpg 

• Enjoyed 1

John,

Congratulations on a very interesting tooth.. I found a tooth 2 years back in an area close to where I think you hunt...I sent a note to Richard Hulbert,  and he helped to help me understand what my tooth might be.  My tooth is in a good place.  I donated it to FLMNH...  It will be very interesting to keep in touch with your enlightenment of this find.   @digit should be equally interested.    

I was also out today and found a small lower horse tooth 22.6 x 12.5 mm,  but I am thinking Equus

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here are photos of my tooth for comparison.TransitionalHorseTooth2x.jpg.05c3400d408799889a66e12aeab14cec.jpgHorseMolar1_Text2.jpg.57e3104f1c9629cb7c913e98c047c05a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'll send the pictures to Richard and see if he is interested. Thanks for the linked thread. When I look at the biting surface of horse teeth, my eyes cross and my brain shuts down. I envy your ability to segregate based on those patturns.

Jack @Shellseeker, here is Richard's put on this tooth. I'll set it aside for the next time I'm up in Gainesville so he can take a look.

It is a bit difficult to make out the details of the tooth, as there is hardy any difference in color between the enamel and dentine. As best as I can tell from the image this appears to be a highly worn and possibly somewhat pathologic Equus lower molar or more likely premolar. If that is the case, this is not of very high interest in terms of a donation. It is something that can wait until I have the chance to visit your collection in person.