Help with ID - found on Oregon coast

Burke_Family

Hi — we are new to this and are wondering about this find….  Our 3rd grader says petrified wood with amber.  Grandpa thinks it might be bone. Someone else suggested palm wood. Maybe someone here can help us get a more definite ID? Picts are from an IPAD / IPhone. Found in Southern Oregon on the beach. Thanks everyone… 

9C241B31-8C8A-474E-AA13-C10F3E24B57C.jpeg

229E4091-2997-4382-8ADE-5EE7B7EDECB6.png

Hello and welcome to the forum to the Burke family!

While the color resembles amber I would not expect fossil wood and amber to stay together in a beach tumbled rock like this. May be calcite veins? Those would fizz under acid.

Others familiar with your region may know more about the possibility of the grey parts being fossil wood. Nice find anyway!

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
additional info

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but it could be petrified wood with agate.

I've found similar stuff like that on the beaches in Oregon.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2022 at 6:04 AM, Burke_Family said:

Hi — we are new to this and are wondering about this find….  Our 3rd grader says petrified wood with amber.  Grandpa thinks it might be bone. Someone else suggested palm wood. Maybe someone here can help us get a more definite ID? Picts are from an IPAD / IPhone. Found in Southern Oregon on the beach. Thanks everyone… 

Hey!

First off tell your 3rd grader, excellent guess. 

Secondly I don't believe it to be amber, its most likely Carnelian. The definitive way to tell would be a simple scratch/hardness test. Amber (Mohs 2/2.5) is way softer than Carnelian (Mohs 7) and you should be able to take a steel pocket knife (Mohs 5.5) and try to scratch a small flat area of it with the tip at an angle similar to that of holding a pen/pencil while writing. If it scratches then its Amber, if it doesn't its Quartz (Carnelian). 

Lastly, the main material could be a type of petrified wood, it could also be Jasper. And because its broken then re-silicified, it's considered Brecciated. The whole name would look something like this...(Brecciated + Agatized Petrified Wood or Jasper)

I'de love to see clearer photos though.