Tiny Taiwan fossil - sea urchin?

FF7_Yuffie

I found this last weekend, but had it put aside until now. It is from the miocene marine outcrops of the Dahan River. Now, this is tiny--we are talking 2mm in diameter. It's something, it stands out among the rock. But I am not sure if it is an extremely small sea urchin or not. I hope the pictures help. It was tricky to take a picture of because of its size. It's small, circular, with tiny ridges on each side.

Fri Apr 22 21-14-46.jpg

Fri Apr 22 21-15-19.jpg

Fri Apr 22 21-21-59.jpg

Fri Apr 22 21-15-40.jpg

Fri Apr 22 21-22-20.jpg

Sat Apr 16 19-50-53.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Yes, it could very well be a tiny regular sea urchin, but it's hard to judge since the pixels are getting in the way. I think you need a strong microscope.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yup, globular with segmentation and a hole at the top - looks like a microscopic sea urchin to me, though it's hard to tell whether it's got the required five-fold symmetry or not... As Roger said, strong magnification will likely be needed to confirm...

Nice find! I know how tricky it has been for you in Taiwan to find some decent fossils :D

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Awesome. I was hoping it was. Sea Urchins are rare here, and a tiny one, I expect is even rarer lol.

I do have a stronger magnifier on order (this one is x500, the new one is x1000 and something). I'll do a pic when I get it, just to double check. 

Thanks for taking a look.

• Enjoyed 1