Waco Research Pit Permanently Close to the Public

facehugger

A fossil hunting buddy informed me today that the Waco Research Pit is now permanently closed to the public. I called the Army Core and confirmed. Such a shame. Thankfully got to visit a few times. Also a real shame since the Army Core can research the same Del Rio fossils in the dam spillway area (also restricted) as they see fit.  

You'll be missed, Research Pit. 

• I found this Informative 4

Holy cow! That's a huge shame, I found my very first shark tooth there. I was planning on returning sometime in the next couple of months to focus on some of the echinoids. Why was it closed?

• I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

This really sucks to hear. The Waco Pit was the first official fossil site I ever went to. I remember smiling the whole drive back to DFW after picking up my first pyritized micro ammonite there. I don't understand its closure. I never saw anyone else when I was hunting there. The place is so big and fossiliferous... were fossil hunters really causing anyone that much trouble?

• I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

This really sucks to hear. The Waco Pit was the first official fossil site I ever went to. I remember smiling the whole drive back to DFW after picking up my first pyritized micro ammonite there. I don't understand its closure. I never saw anyone else when I was hunting there. The place is so big and fossiliferous... were fossil hunters really causing anyone that much trouble?

I did not ask for the reason behind the closure, and they didn't divulge. Apparently they will allow visitors for "educational purposes" but no longer individual collectors. 

• I found this Informative 1

@Jared C I didn't ask, and they didn't say. I didn't want the conversation to last too long, because my disappointment and bitterness would become apparent. 

• I Agree 1

Just in time for the NSR impoundment.

• I Agree 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

22 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Just in time for the NSR impoundment.

A lot of heartbreak, lately... :shakehead:

• I Agree 2

When I visited a couple of months ago they had stopped requiring permits. I thought it was a little strange.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

If this just effects individuals then maybe we can still obtain permits for paleo clubs. Fingers crossed

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, erose said:

If this just effects individuals then maybe we can still obtain permits for paleo clubs. Fingers crossed

I hope so, considering just this morning I finally submitted my PSoA membership :D

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, Jared C said:

I hope so, considering just this morning I finally submitted my PSoA membership :D

Good man! FYI, we are planning on a return to actual meetings next month after two years....

• I found this Informative 2