Waco Research Pit Permanently Close to the Public

facehugger

A fossil hunting buddy informed me today that the Waco Research Pit is now permanently closed to the public. I called the Army Core and confirmed. Such a shame. Thankfully got to visit a few times. Also a real shame since the Army Core can research the same Del Rio fossils in the dam spillway area (also restricted) as they see fit.  

You'll be missed, Research Pit. 

• I found this Informative 4
Jared C

Holy cow! That's a huge shame, I found my very first shark tooth there. I was planning on returning sometime in the next couple of months to focus on some of the echinoids. Why was it closed?

• I Agree 1
EPIKLULSXDDDDD

This really sucks to hear. The Waco Pit was the first official fossil site I ever went to. I remember smiling the whole drive back to DFW after picking up my first pyritized micro ammonite there. I don't understand its closure. I never saw anyone else when I was hunting there. The place is so big and fossiliferous... were fossil hunters really causing anyone that much trouble?

• I Agree 1
facehugger
2 minutes ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

This really sucks to hear. The Waco Pit was the first official fossil site I ever went to. I remember smiling the whole drive back to DFW after picking up my first pyritized micro ammonite there. I don't understand its closure. I never saw anyone else when I was hunting there. The place is so big and fossiliferous... were fossil hunters really causing anyone that much trouble?

I did not ask for the reason behind the closure, and they didn't divulge. Apparently they will allow visitors for "educational purposes" but no longer individual collectors. 

• I found this Informative 1
facehugger

@Jared C I didn't ask, and they didn't say. I didn't want the conversation to last too long, because my disappointment and bitterness would become apparent. 

• I Agree 1
Uncle Siphuncle

Just in time for the NSR impoundment.

• I Agree 2
facehugger
22 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Just in time for the NSR impoundment.

A lot of heartbreak, lately... :shakehead:

• I Agree 2
historianmichael

When I visited a couple of months ago they had stopped requiring permits. I thought it was a little strange.

If this just effects individuals then maybe we can still obtain permits for paleo clubs. Fingers crossed

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1
Jared C
4 hours ago, erose said:

If this just effects individuals then maybe we can still obtain permits for paleo clubs. Fingers crossed

I hope so, considering just this morning I finally submitted my PSoA membership :D

2 hours ago, Jared C said:

I hope so, considering just this morning I finally submitted my PSoA membership :D

Good man! FYI, we are planning on a return to actual meetings next month after two years....

• I found this Informative 2