Is this a fossilized fragment of a bone?

Diapsid

I found this in a rock bed. I'm in College Station, TX and was looking for petrified wood (which I found plenty of). I picked this up and the holes really make me think its bone. It's definitely a rock, it clinks when I hit it with metal and is dense like a rock. There's one side that is more smooth and not as holey, but I think that's where it got worn down.

The grid below is 5mm x 5mm squares.

20220424_141006.thumb.jpg.142fae718f1987058488bb34e95bab0d.jpg20220424_142452.thumb.jpg.97a4296238ce11b374c5983769a9ea88.jpg20220424_141105.thumb.jpg.26d343d4a353a2f851f0711e7b6e0d8d.jpg20220424_141034.thumb.jpg.f1dd89cdc6e1e484c82cd1d643e22a9b.jpg

Edited by Diapsid
Typo
  • Enjoyed 2

29 minutes ago, jpc said:

certainly looks boney.  But is it fossil?  can't say from here.

During construction of part of my school, the rocks they dug up were placed in some rock beds. This piece had to have been buried for a very long time. Also I am positive it is a rock now.

You've found your first nondescript chunk of mineralized bone...probably Pleistocene.

Welcome to the Forum.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Cool, I know there's been ice-age fossils found around here from mammoths, deer, horses, and other things. I'm fine with not knowing exactly what it is, you're right it is the first bone I've found. It sure beats finding only shells.

• Enjoyed 2

3 hours ago, Diapsid said:

Cool, I know there's been ice-age fossils found around here from mammoths, deer, horses, and other things. I'm fine with not knowing exactly what it is, you're right it is the first bone I've found. It sure beats finding only shells.

The shell collectors might disagree. :) Nice find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Very nice piece. I would say it is bone because of the uniformity of the spongy bone trabecula. What a cool find!