Is Onslo Beach, NC worth exploring?

DevilDog

I will be getting my military retiree ID soon that should allow me to get on Camp Lejune and visit the Onslo Beach recreation area. I've heard the fossil hunting there was very good back when it was easier to get on base. I assume I can expect to find the same sort of shark teeth and other fossils as are found on North Topsail Beach since the two locations are not too many miles apart? The last few trips to NTB have been a bust and I want to make another trip to the coast worthwhile. Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions are welcome.

Yes, but not in the summer, unless they are dredging New River Inlet. Too many ppl otherwise, and the place is picked clean. Winter can be productive, however.

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

The only beach or any exposure in NC where Echinolampas aldrichii can be found. I've never been but can attest to the much more numerous vertebrate finds there than at NTB.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

On 4/26/2022 at 10:00 PM, Plax said:

The only beach or any exposure in NC where Echinolampas aldrichii can be found. I've never been but can attest to the much more numerous vertebrate finds there than at NTB.

I did my Master's Thesis on NTB and frequented the two beaches for several years.  You're spot on with your attestation. :dinothumb:

• Enjoyed 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana