Fossil Shark Teeth - Post Pics Of Your Favorites!

thefossilgallery

As a dealer in high end fossils, specifically fossil shark teeth, I have seen some amazing examples over the last 15 years or so that I've been involved in this very satisfying hobby. As many, I started as, and remain a pretty avid collector, though (with much prodding from my wife who doesn't share our appreciation of these fossils) I try very hard to only keep a little material at any one time, so I consider my collection a revolving and evolving one. :) Were it up to my wife, I'd sell them all tomorrow, and then get a "real" job... :) It kills her I make a living doing something I genuinely love. :)

I love looking at and taking pictures of high quality fossil shark teeth, the diversity is pretty incredible, I think the average person when told you collect shark teeth thinks they would all pretty much be the same, the most often asked question I get when I tell people I collect and sell them is: "What do you do with them?" :) I tell them I stick them in the spokes of my Schwinn Bike... :) Just kidding, I try to explain how much variation there can be, and how incredible these fossils are, but 99% of the time my explaination falls on deaf ears, but, I have a feeling here on a forum dedicated to fossils, I'll encountrer open ears and minds, and so, I searched the forum to see if there was a thread already like this, and I didn't see one.

In this thread, please feel free to post any and all photos you have of your favorite, high quality fossil shark teeth, any species, and they need not be yours, as long as you find the tooth or teeth impressive and worth posting.

I'll get the ball rolling with a few, but please, I hope anyone who loves these wonderful fossils as much as I do, will add their own photos and keep this little shark tooth gallery growing.

Well, take care everybody and I hope to see some great teeth soon!

Ari

The best and rarest fossil GW I ever had, 3 1/16" land find in Florida, near, but not in Venice, in a shell pit. 1st anterior and very nearly flawless with the serrations of a fresh tooth.

Picture%20062v2.jpg

Picture%20008v2.jpg

Picture%20037v2.jpg

The best giant Meg I ever had, still have this one luckily, and this one stays forever. :) 100% natural, from GA, 6.51" x 4.75" wide, upper anterior, serrations are razor sharp, and not one nick on the tooth, unreal. And, golden pyrite oozing from the entire chevron, and then dripping down the crown. This Meg by the way weighs almost 2 pounds, the root alone must be a pound! I just love this one. :)

img_6787.jpg

IMG_6948v2.jpg

IMG_6928v3.jpg

img_6891.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

Next up is a gorgeous 4.75" SC Meg, flawless, with beautiful enamel! I also love the orange, paper-like bourlette. Great form too. Another favorite.

Picture%20103n.jpg

Picture%20526v900.jpg

Picture%20186v2.jpg

The best Lee Creek I ever had, 5 7/16" x 4" wide, huge for the area, amazing colors, wicked, beak-like tip, white root, and look at that textbook 1st anterior form! Sure miss that one... :(

lc1.jpg

lc1%20(1).jpg

lc1v2.jpg

lc1%20(10).jpg

lc1%20(5).jpg

lc1%20(11).jpg

I guess I'll stop with a really neat Mako, 3.15", and the colors and patterns are amazing, it sure looks like he's smiling at me... :)

IMG_1088v3.jpg

IMG_1123v800.jpg

Well, maybe next time I'll post some nice Angys, Chubs and Rics, but I wanted to limit myself to 5 in the initial post, which isn't so easy. :) Now it's your turn :), so, please, post your favorites here, and let's get a really good picture gallery going, I think it would be a lot of fun.

Edited by thefossilgallery

Awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing those amazing pics!!! Here's my favorite 6 incher.

post-319-12696488574558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Megalodon1

Welcome to the forum Ari, and those are some real jaw-droppers. While I don't believe I've ever won one of your teeth (maybe 1???) I have admired them on ebay for a while.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

1) Not the biggest, but a pretty much flawless Peruvian Isurus hastalis. What I love about this tooth is that it has a feel more like glass than rock, the only tooth I have that I can say that about

2) Paraisurus macrorhiza. Try finding another of these for sale, with a complete, unrepaired root, anywhere on the net. One of my rarest teeth

Lots of others in my gallery, but these 2 are at the top of the heap

post-77-12696537491241_thumb.jpg

post-77-12696537788821_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I did not even know this shark existed paraisurus.jpg

Really cool!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

For me it's all about the colors and these three Bakersfield teeth have colors that just capture the eye!

post-1292-12696608629888_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12696608733758_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12696608970265_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

My all time favorite is this narly "firezone" meg from Bakersfield I call the "Antique"!

post-1292-12696610106288_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

1) Not the biggest, but a pretty much flawless Peruvian Isurus hastalis. What I love about this tooth is that it has a feel more like glass than rock, the only tooth I have that I can say that about

All great stuff so far, thanks!

NS, you reminded me of my favorite Peruvian Mako, not a giant either at 2.5", but like yours, the enamel seems more like colored glass, it's almost like gem agate, just incredible color and enamel, a friend found it while on business in Peru a few years back, and we traded for it, I think he paid some guy on the side of the road like 3 bucks for it. :)

Picture%20162mko.jpg

Picture%20167v2.jpg

Picture%20087.jpg

Picture%20166.jpg

WOW. I'd give at least $5 ;)

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Small but nice, Heptranchias howellii from Trelde nes, Denmark

post-2634-12696903638418_thumb.jpg post-2634-12696903814212_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I'm looking to add one of those to my collection. They don't appear too often from any location, and that's the first one I've seen from Denmark

As a dealer in high end fossils, specifically fossil shark teeth, I have seen some amazing examples over the last 15 years or so that I've been involved in this very satisfying hobby. As many, I started as, and remain a pretty avid collector, though (with much prodding from my wife who doesn't share our appreciation of these fossils) I try very hard to only keep a little material at any one time, so I consider my collection a revolving and evolving one. :) Were it up to my wife, I'd sell them all tomorrow, and then get a "real" job... :) It kills her I make a living doing something I genuinely love. :)

I love looking at and taking pictures of high quality fossil shark teeth, the diversity is pretty incredible, I think the average person when told you collect shark teeth thinks they would all pretty much be the same, the most often asked question I get when I tell people I collect and sell them is: "What do you do with them?" :) I tell them I stick them in the spokes of my Schwinn Bike... :) Just kidding, I try to explain how much variation there can be, and how incredible these fossils are, but 99% of the time my explaination falls on deaf ears, but, I have a feeling here on a forum dedicated to fossils, I'll encountrer open ears and minds, and so, I searched the forum to see if there was a thread already like this, and I didn't see one.

In this thread, please feel free to post any and all photos you have of your favorite, high quality fossil shark teeth, any species, and they need not be yours, as long as you find the tooth or teeth impressive and worth posting.

I'll get the ball rolling with a few, but please, I hope anyone who loves these wonderful fossils as much as I do, will add their own photos and keep this little shark tooth gallery growing.

The best and rarest fossil GW I ever had, 3 1/16" land find in Florida, near, but not in Venice, in a shell pit. 1st anterior and very nearly flawless with the serrations of a fresh tooth.

Ari,

Yeah, I've been asked that too, "What do you do with them?" Well, sometimes I compare them to specimens figured in books or articles. You can find a "new" species in your own collection or realize that the person who dealt it to you misidentified it, or if you found it yourself, you can redo your own label. If you have something undescribed, you might live long enough for someone to officially name it. I enjoy having them. The diversity is incredible. Most of the sharks that have ever existed had teeth less than an inch long and many had teeth difficult to spot with the naked eye. Some of those tiny teeth are jewels in their own way. There are a lot of shark tooth collectors on this forum.

That shell pit GW is a great specimen. You don't hear much about those since most if not all the FL shell pits have been closed to collecting. Most of the great places to find fossil great whites in California have buildings or parking lots on top of them so you don't hear about those much anymore either.

There is another shark tooth thread that isurus90064 started, focusing on great specimens of common species:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2380

Jess

Welcome to the forum Ari, and those are some real jaw-droppers. While I don't believe I've ever won one of your teeth (maybe 1???) I have admired them on ebay for a while.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

2) Paraisurus macrorhiza. Try finding another of these for sale, with a complete, unrepaired root, anywhere on the net. One of my rarest teeth

Lots of others in my gallery, but these 2 are at the top of the heap

Yes, Northern Sharks gallery is not to be missed. I was looking through it last week - great stuff.

Yes, Paraisurus is a tough one to get. They were being found at the Motorola site in Texas until it was landscaped over when construction ended in the 90's. Then, they were coming out of Russia for a while.

Small but nice, Heptranchias howellii from Trelde nes, Denmark

post-2634-12696903638418_thumb.jpg post-2634-12696903814212_thumb.jpg

That is a beauty - another genus rarely seen. What is the age of Trelde nes?

The age of Trelde Nes is ranging from Paleocene to Eocene, with a little glacial transported martriale from both the Cretaceous and Silurian.

The teeth we find ther a all originate from the Paleocene to Eocene strata.

battery power ran out after only two pictures. So for now here is a 2.5" maryland chub and a 1.5" Alopias Grandis

post-1554-12698046919022_thumb.jpg

post-1554-12698047018894_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Some really nice and interesting teeth so far, I'm glad to see there's interest in the thread, maybe over time, it'll end up as a nice online archive of photos of high quality fossil shark teeth. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I just got this one in, but it's not for sale, in fact, I made it my new header pic on my website for sale page, that's how much I liked it. :)

4.75", very wide, amazing form. Gorgeous blue-ish enamel with darker blue patterns, about the finest bourlette possible, great root, and, the serrations and tip are flawless and as well preserved as those you'd find on a fresh tooth. In my experience, Meg teeth don't get a whole lot nicer.

IMG_3163f.jpg

IMG_3253b.jpg

IMG_3288b.jpg

img_3196.jpg

img_3205.jpg

Three favorites of mine for color ;)

post-671-12699163928221_thumb.jpg

post-671-12699164287254_thumb.jpg

post-671-12699164885441_thumb.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Jess, thanks for posting the link. I had not seen that one yet. Ari, thanks for starting the new thread. Sadly a few of your killers look all too familiar. I will try to post some of mine soon.

Bill

Yeah, I've been asked that too, "What do you do with them?" Well, sometimes I compare them to specimens figured in books or articles. You can find a "new" species in your own collection or realize that the person who dealt it to you misidentified it, or if you found it yourself, you can redo your own label. If you have something undescribed, you might live long enough for someone to officially name it. I enjoy having them. The diversity is incredible. Most of the sharks that have ever existed had teeth less than an inch long and many had teeth difficult to spot with the naked eye. Some of those tiny teeth are jewels in their own way. There are a lot of shark tooth collectors on this forum.

That shell pit GW is a great specimen. You don't hear much about those since most if not all the FL shell pits have been closed to collecting. Most of the great places to find fossil great whites in California have buildings or parking lots on top of them so you don't hear about those much anymore either.

There is another shark tooth thread that isurus90064 started, focusing on great specimens of common species:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2380

Jess

4454606040_a04c5b0548_o.jpg

My own collection and finding..Shark teeth from Sarawak, Malaysia. Very difficult and rare to find.

Yikes !!!!.... You have some beautiful teeth guys.... I dont have many but its easy to see why you collect them and cherish them like you do..... My best one ''Least Flaws'' is photographed below as well as 'most' of my collection.... I have 2 others that dont quite fit my display including one from Malta...My favourate is the 6 1/2" Chile even though repaired I like the association with matrix .....and the Atlantic one ...Is it from ''Lobster Ledge'' I was once told (whiteish with orange dots on it) ...It has a nice 'Fang' quality to it that isnt apparent from the group photo...

post-1630-12704571184707_thumb.jpg post-1630-12704571382203_thumb.jpg post-1630-12704571556353_thumb.jpg

post-1630-12704570986522_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1270457174291_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

post-570-1270475083007_thumb.jpg

My three most beautiful teeth from my Bone Valley collection.

post-570-12704751013288_thumb.jpg

A small but oh so perfect Meg from the Pungo River frm, Lee Creek.

post-570-12704751163972_thumb.jpg

A Ptychodus mortoni and a (I am not 100% sure) Cretodus crassidens from Texas.

post-570-12704751299638_thumb.jpg

And a small but very perfect GW from the GMR.

post-570-12704755144971_thumb.jpg

A very rare Hexanchus microdon from a quarry near Hannover (Campanian)

Martijn

Edited by Martijn

Qua patet orbis

Here you see some of me favorites

Picture

1.: 6 inch landfind megalodon from Dorchester County Summerville SC

2.: Tesame tooth with on the back side in the matrix a bonus with this little meg

3.: Beautiful 3 inch Carcharodon carcharias from the red banks Cooper river SC

4.: A five inch megalodon from the Lee creek mine.

5.: Very nice rare to find symphysaire Notorynchus cepedianus from the Antwerp region.

6 and 7 A nice 4 inch Bone Valley megalodon found it on a trip in the mine.

post-150-12704785738121_thumb.jpg

post-150-12704785887001_thumb.jpg

post-150-12704786103109_thumb.jpg

post-150-12704786474544_thumb.jpg

post-150-12704786788468_thumb.jpg

post-150-1270478700572_thumb.jpg

post-150-12704787239372_thumb.jpg