Fossil Shark Teeth - Post Pics Of Your Favorites!

thefossilgallery

Mexx awesome teeth from Aurora nc

PaleoRon , great find , thanks for sharing

this is my favorite teeth ; Isurus hastalis (Agassiz 1843 )

Middle Miocene from southern France rare fo the location

Thanks Alopias!

Wow, I didn't know they come that nice from France!

Not necessarily "my favorite" fossil shark tooth but a colorful example of a meg from a SC creek location.

PS. The tooth is 3.5" NOT 3.75"

post-294-082265400 1277666147_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilselachian

Thanks everyone for showing off your best teeth. I love megs and never tire of seeing them. wub.gifwub.gif

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Here is my over 4inch meg,huge for it's location - Gainesville creek.

post-1674-063978600 1277671301_thumb.jpg

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Here is my over 4inch meg,huge for it's location - Gainesville creek.

Very nice tooth. I bet you did the Happy Dance for over a week after finding that one.

Thanks Alopias!

Wow, I didn't know they come that nice from France!

If you like teeth from France you may enjoy this one. This is the best French shark tooth in my collection.

post-210-077404500 1277683902_thumb.jpg

post-210-095785400 1277683907_thumb.jpg post-210-025447300 1277683915_thumb.jpg

If you like teeth from France you may enjoy this one. This is the best French shark tooth in my collection.

post-210-077404500 1277683902_thumb.jpg

post-210-095785400 1277683907_thumb.jpg post-210-025447300 1277683915_thumb.jpg

Unless a site of that spelling truly exists, I think your label should read "Saucats" as teeth of Burdigalian age come from there and look just like that. I have a few teeth from there as well and have seen others including a Squalodon. Perhaps Alopias or Coco can confirm the locality.

Also, Burdigalian is the age of the rock (Early Miocene) - not the name of the formation.

Edited by siteseer

siteseer , yes I confirm yours informations the location is Saucats near bordeaux

Early Miocene

PaleoRon very nice teeth !

That's the info I got with the tooth. I never thought to check on the locality or I might have caught the spelling error. Thank you for correcting it. It's interesting to hear of some of the other fossils found at that location.

Hi Ron,

I'm wondering about the Red from the "Red Site".

Your tooth there looks like a typical (albeit very nice!) Miocene Yorktown tooth with none of the Red color from that site. I understand of course that most of the color in teeth comes from the sediments that they fossilize in. I have heard that the teeth in the red site and other rivers get stained red by the tannins that make the river water so brown and poor visibility. Also, because the teeth at the red site are typically from the Yorktown formation and have the light color common in teeth fossilized in those sediments, they are particularly susceptible to red/brown staining from these tannins.

If the tannin staining explanation is true, then it would seem your tooth was not exposed to tannins in the river water long enough to become stained. Indeed judging by the ground shot, it looks like it just fell out of the bank!

Do you think the tanning staining explanation is correct? If so, any idea how long such staining may take to occur? Years? Hundreds of years? 100,000 years?

Do you have any additional insights on the nature or origin of the red coloration?

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

The reddish coloration is definitely a result of the tannins and other minerals in the water. I found a small meg in matrix a few years ago that was only partially exposed. The exposed portion had turned red/brown but the portion that was still in the matrix was greenish. I had scoured that area no more than 8 months prior to finding the tooth. I know it was exposed during the winter so the teeth change colors fairly rapidly. I have found other partially stained teeth in the past, but they were loose on the bottom of the river.

It has been my observation that the more encrusted a tooth is, the deeper the red coloration is. Some of the prettiest red teeth I have seen looked like a chunk of rust before being cleaned.

The blue tooth must have fallen out of the formation only a short time before I found it. Another week or two and it might have sank completely into the sand. I find very few teeth that have not been river stained. One decent light colored megalodon tooth I found has very little sign of river staining. It was on the river bottom for less than a month. I know it was less than a month because it came from a small hole that I check several times a year.

I took some quick pics of the tooth to illustrate what I am talking about. One root lobe has moderate staining. This must have been what was exposed to the river water the longest prior to the whole tooth getting washed out of the matrix.

In case you're wondering, the tooth is just over 5 3/4 inches diagonally.

post-210-083953300 1277866402_thumb.jpg post-210-076659700 1277866408_thumb.jpg

post-210-075774800 1277866417_thumb.jpg post-210-005902700 1277866426_thumb.jpg

post-210-010872900 1277866433_thumb.jpg post-210-084061300 1277866440_thumb.jpg

Some really great stuff posted since I was here last. I have a couple to add, one I thought was timely as we're discussing the tannic acid imparted reddish/brown colors you see from red site teeth.

While NC and VA are best known for the red teeth, and actually occasionally SC produces them, the Suwannee, once in a blue moon, or maybe red moon, produces red/orange Auriculatus, like this one. (2 3/16")

IMG_6187b.jpg

img_6098.jpg

img_6220.jpg

Thanks for the input Ron!

Everyone, Nice Teeth!!

Here's one of my favorites, not the biggest, not the most perfect, but a nice combination of size, shape, and color in a GW.

z100_1016%20copy2.jpg

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

And now for something completely different...

Sharks from Wyoming. No megs here.

I tried to find my favorite shark tooth, but since I haven't unpacked The Museum since I moved, I have no idea which box it is in. Here is a cool one I did manage to find in the box labeled "sharks". There are three genera of shark in this piece of sandstone form the Cretaceous Frontier Formation. If any of you guys know the species, please feel free to tell me. There's a Ptychodus on top, and a Squalicorax to its left. Beneath them is a long Scapanorhynchus tooth. Under the Squalicorax is a very small Ptychodus tooth.

And look, there's my thumb for scale. The other things in there are little black pebbles. If you see little black pebbles in a sandstone in the Frontier Formation, that's where you should look for shark teeth.

post-1450-036725200 1277955472_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpc

I'm re-posting this cuz I can't see it. Sorry if you guys see this twice.

I tried to find my favorite shark tooth, but since I haven't unpacked The Museum since I moved, I have no idea which box it is in. Here is a cool one I did manage to find in the box labeled "sharks". There are three genera of shark in this piece of sandstone form the Cretaceous Frontier Formation. If any of you guys know the species, please feel free to tell me. There's a Ptychodus on top, and a Squalicorax to its left. Beneath them is a long Scapanorhynchus tooth. Under the Squalicorax is a very small Ptychodus tooth.

And look, there's my thumb for scale. The other things in there are little black pebbles. If you see little black pebbles in a sandstone in the Frontier Formation, that's where you should look for shark teeth.

post-1450-030534500 1277956367_thumb.jpg

siteseer , yes I confirm yours informations the location is Saucats near bordeaux

Early Miocene

PaleoRon very nice teeth !

Alopias,

Thanks for the back-up. There was a French fossil dealer who used to go to the Tucson shows. His last name was Seguin and he was one of the guys who sold large Pecten-like mollusks in matrix from the Saucats area. He said sometimes he found teeth there.

PaleoRon,

Mr. Seguin had Carcharias, Carcharoides, and Notorynchus for sale. He showed me the whale tooth and I told him what it was but he didn't want to sell it.

I'm re-posting this cuz I can't see it. Sorry if you guys see this twice.

post-1450-030534500 1277956367_thumb.jpg

It looks like Ptychodus whipplei.

P. whipplei... thanks.

Its been a while since I've done any research on the Frontier Fm, but I seem to remember whipplei was one of the names I ran across in that formation.

This is an awesome thread so I hope this ptychodus from the Waco spillway is worthy. I never guessed that I would love these ancient teeth so much!

post-1292-038827400 1278078529_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Not exactly of C. megalodon size :rolleyes:

That is a way cool tooth. I assume it is Cretaceous...What formation? Did you find it by screening?