Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird

Ptychodus04

Here’s a tease of one of my upcoming prep projects. It’s not next in queue but it’s coming soon. I spent some time doing exploratory prep on it for the last couple of days. Anyone know what it is? I’ll give you 2 hints. It’s from the Green River Formation and it’s not a fish.

FBF31634-D775-4B51-A3FD-74F2138B1FBD.thumb.jpeg.1ee13edd962caa40b0ff4db7d5be788a.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

That is an awesome fossil! I am really looking forward to seeing you prep this. :popcorn: I am not good with GRF fossils, but could it be a bat? 

-Micah

6 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

That is an awesome fossil! I am really looking forward to seeing you prep this. :popcorn: I am not good with GRF fossils, but could it be a bat? 

-Micah

That's exactly what I thought, when I saw those 2 thin bones a bit to the left of the center, the first thing my mind went to was bat wing.:popcorn:

• I found this Informative 1

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Bat (followed by bird) were my first two thoughts.

Looking forward to seeing the prep.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Bird was my first guess.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's the missing head of the notogoneous! Prep it and ship it to immediately for reattachment! 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I see something triangular down among the dark gray blobs in the lower portion of the photo.  That is either a bird pelvis or skull.  Bird is my guess.  

We have some astute members here! It is a bird. I’ll know more as soon as I get the skull prepped (that will require gluing on the split piece) but I’m about 90% convinced it is a parrot. I’ll post a pic through the microscope later but there’s soft tissue preserved on most of the bones!

Here’s a pic of the video monitor where I’m working on the distal ends of the ulna and radius. The circle of bone is a vertebral ring (don’t know the technical term for it).

A5AECC8E-C993-4773-86C2-79006B6CAB31.thumb.jpeg.5b8a40370eb84e84c22e9da6b9a0a40e.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 3

Bats are basically birds, right? :D It would be cool to prep a bird, especially one from the GRF. Good luck to you! 

-Micah

21 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m about 90% convinced it is a parrot.

That would be a DEAD parrot. :default_rofl:

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Tidgy&#x27;s Dad said:

Beautiful plumage.

... the Norwegian Blue etc.,  Pinin' for the Feeeyords 

One of the simply funniest skits in the English language ever created.  

I am intrigued, Ptych... what makes you think parrot?  The Green River proto-parrot (Cyrilavis) did not have a parrot-like beak.  What else are you seeing?  

• Enjoyed 1

Pinin' for the fjords.

I wondered where I left that! You have my address?

• Enjoyed 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

18 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Bats are basically birds, right? :D It would be cool to prep a bird, especially one from the GRF. Good luck to you! 

-Micah

Bats are definitely not basically birds. The only things the have in common are flight and warm bloodedness. Even their flight capabilities are totally different. :P

It is cool but not fun to prep a bird. There’s no margin for error!

17 hours ago, jpc said:

... the Norwegian Blue etc.,  Pinin' for the Feeeyords 

One of the simply funniest skits in the English language ever created.  

I am intrigued, Ptych... what makes you think parrot?  The Green River proto-parrot (Cyrilavis) did not have a parrot-like beak.  What else are you seeing?  

I don’t think it’s Cyrilavis but the rings around the verts, length of carpometacarpus, foot structure, and skull are pretty parrot-like. I have some info that I haven’t shared yet… an X-ray

B5A6F850-68D3-4FA1-8874-45A12149A3FF.thumb.jpeg.21e590d53875436b9ad24c8323f1b711.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

oooohhhh.... an x-ray.  Bonus points!!!

Vert rings... this confuses me.  The Cyrilavis specimen has tracheal rings, which these might be.   I am no expert on bird osteology but I may have done a bit more homework than most.  Your victim certainly has a very short tarsometatarsus, which is parrot-oid, but a few other birds also have short a tmt (penguins, but that is not to be expected in the GRF)..  I'll buy a possible proto-parrot. 

In any case, this is pretty darn cool.  Congrats on getting to do the work.   

Edited by jpc
  • Enjoyed 1

This is 1 prep that I’m glad its you doing and not me! You get to prep the coolest stuff! How long of a prep do you think it will be?

Is this a prep for you or a prep for a client? If it is for a client, I bet you wish it was a prep for you, cause that bird is amazing!

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

54 minutes ago, Randyw said:

This is 1 prep that I’m glad its you doing and not me! You get to prep the coolest stuff! How long of a prep do you think it will be?

I am jealous... I would love to do this kind of thing.  Esp with the x-ray as a guide. 

Ptych... do you do micro-prep with a video camera and computer monitor?