Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird

Ptychodus04

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Black marker pen.  and a hardy har har.  Actually, I know a guy who has used a black marker to color a part of a fossil.  No, not me.

RB

:default_rofl: That would be the last time I get to prep a bird!

I had some luck last night with scribing to the absolute lowest point possible, then using a needle to remove matrix until there’s just a hint on the feathers. Turned the Swam all the way down and pushed as little abrasive as possible through the smallest tip to clear it off. It degrades the feathers a bit by it’s better than nothing.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I had some luck last night with scribing to the absolute lowest point possible, then using a needle to remove matrix until there’s just a hint on the feathers. Turned the Swam all the way down and pushed as little abrasive as possible through the smallest tip to clear it off. It degrades the feathers a bit by it’s better than nothing.

If I ever get an unprepped bird, I know who is gunna prep it.  I hope you take checks.  :)

RB

• Enjoyed 1

Just drop the check when it's handed to you...if it bounces then you say 'no thanks cash only'.  :heartylaugh:

Not that I think Ron is that type of guy. 

Edited by Adam86cucv
  • Enjoyed 3

Those feet are pretty nice! Something I never thought I would say... :P

Looking really good, Kris. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Just drop the check when it's handed to you...if it bounces then you say 'no thanks cash only'.  :heartylaugh:

Not that I think Ron is that type of guy. 

He's not but he sure likes to mess with me.

Amazing details you are finding as you progress.  How long are you typical sessions on this?  I imagine a few hours of highly detailed prepping like this would wear on your eyes and hand/wrist.

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Bird prep update picture. 175 hours and counting!

I was thinkin about this bird last night about 1 in the morning.  With wing and tail feathers being more robust than the plume feathers, I would think that the farther you get on this bird that the easier to prep the feathers would get? 

RB

23 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Amazing details you are finding as you progress.  How long are you typical sessions on this?  I imagine a few hours of highly detailed prepping like this would wear on your eyes and hand/wrist.

Thanks. My max time prepping is around 3 hours before I need a break. After that, it’s hard to keep a steady hand. With larger specimens, there’s some room for error, not in this thing. Sometimes the bones start to crumble before I even get near them. This is mostly around the joints where the bone is super thin.

9 hours ago, RJB said:

I was thinkin about this bird last night about 1 in the morning.  With wing and tail feathers being more robust than the plume feathers, I would think that the farther you get on this bird that the easier to prep the feathers would get? 

RB

The opposite seems to be true here. The matrix is really sticky further out from the body.

19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Looks like I might have found the tail feathers last night.,

Woooooop Wooooooooop!  PARTY TIME!!!

RB

On 1/26/2023 at 6:19 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

:default_rofl: That would be the last time I get to prep a bird!

If you like I can give you my adress :rolleyes: 

• Enjoyed 1

On 1/30/2023 at 6:19 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Looks like I might have found the tail feathers last night.,:fingerscrossed:

9B1065EB-2F11-44A8-A948-7C345A8E85AA.thumb.jpeg.e5aee0016827a0ec1a5809c4041db06e.jpeg

incredible work..., love to see your work, really!

:default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

Feather prep continues…  This pic represents 194 hours of prep with no end in sight. :duh2:

I have a challenge ahead of me. There’s a rib on top of the tail. I have to try to reacquire the feathers past it. That’s tough when the matrix is so sticky!!!

B8DCBE42-9862-4826-BCA0-538150C44154.thumb.jpeg.47cb054f7bd2a5465e4a02cac7b1530d.jpeg

Edited by Ptychodus04
Autocorrect got me again...
  • Enjoyed 11

That is just incredible!! :tiphat: :default_faint: :tiphat: :default_faint:

200 hours and counting?  I hope someone has deep pockets.  You pay for what you get, and in this case they are getting the best.

Don

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

That is just incredible!! :tiphat: :default_faint: :tiphat: :default_faint:

200 hours and counting?  I hope someone has deep pockets.  You pay for what you get, and in this case they are getting the best.

Don

This is a special circumstance. We already have a donor on board to pay all the costs and donate the specimen to a museum of their choosing. Pretty sweet.

• I found this Informative 2

11 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Just south of 200 hours today. Still haven’t reached the end of the tail feathers!

A5DA0E17-291C-4092-A05F-B745A16C3B42.thumb.jpeg.07f645f395063996e8163a6f481c5e8b.jpeg

Must be nice but also, looking to the left at the path of stickiness ahead of you. Must take some “decompression” time when you come up for air after all that intense concentration down the scope! 

:zen:

19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Just south of 200 hours today. Still haven’t reached the end of the tail feathers!

Do you ever have nightmares about the feathers? 

RB

• Enjoyed 1

8 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Must be nice but also, looking to the left at the path of stickiness ahead of you. Must take some “decompression” time when you come up for air after all that intense concentration down the scope! 

:zen:

I spent some time last night constructing a handy little device to support my back while leaning over the specimen. A bit of wood, some black pipe, one hinge, and some 3" foam and I now have an adjustable rest that will allow me to lean with much less lower back strain. This should allow for more steady and consistent working sessions on the tail.

• I found this Informative 1