Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird

Ptychodus04

Amazing work.  Its been great seeing this come to light through your prep.  Thanks for sharing the journey!

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

262.25 hours later and the bird prep is finished! All in, this little critter is 16” from the top of the skull to the tip of the tail.

9AD43B4B-629B-44F4-881C-85B6AE7C897C.thumb.jpeg.e73bfdfbef96faefa446e6b473444417.jpeg

On to the next project.

• Enjoyed 21

Beautiful!!! Amazing work, Kris!!!

I am going to miss seeing updates on this amazing fossil, but I am also glad to see it finally finished! 

Thank you for bringing us along for the journey. :)

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

An epic accomplishment, Kris!  It's been enjoyable watching your progress.

It would be interesting to see a CT scan or x-ray.

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

excellent work, man.  Congrats on making to the end.

(X-ray will only make you see other bones you need to prep....)

• Enjoyed 1

@JohnJ There is an X-ray posted on page 1.

Kris, amazing project. Thanks for taking us along. Are there any associated critters or is the slab otherwise barren?

• I found this Informative 1

15 minutes ago, connorp said:

There is an X-ray posted on page 1.

Ahh, yes...I forgot.  I wonder how it would look now?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks all. This was an amazing project. There’s a few fish bits and one small Knightia on the slab. Otherwise, it’s blank. Here’s a before pic just for fun…CB67D7F9-84CA-4C58-9A82-0C6D327213BB.thumb.jpeg.951229e158d7171deec2372a708a777c.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Hi,

Good work as a diligent expert. Bravo.

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulations on a diligent bit of work! I'll bet that on the one side you're proud of your accomplishment and the other side is breathing a sigh of relief.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Sensational work, Kris. You -- and your tools! -- have earned at least a day or more of rest after this long and fruitful slog. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A fossil to remember! Only through picture enlargement could I truly appreciate the  intricacies of your work!!!!! What are the dozen or so circular items scattered around the fossil? 

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Congratulations on a diligent bit of work! I'll bet that on the one side you're proud of your accomplishment and the other side is breathing a sigh of relief.

Thanks. I’m quite proud of this one and oddly felt a little bit of sadness after the euphoria wore off! It was a challenging but fun project .

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Sensational work, Kris. You -- and your tools! -- have earned at least a day or more of rest after this long and fruitful slog. 

No rest for the weary. I’m already on the next project!

30 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

A fossil to remember! Only through picture enlargement could I truly appreciate the  intricacies of your work!!!!! What are the dozen or so circular items scattered around the fossil? 

It’s quite spectacular. Those little circular bits are tracheal rings, small bits of cartilage that stiffen the trachea in a bird.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

This is almost like saying goodby to an old friend.  I seem to have droplets of water in my eyes?   But seriously, a most outstanding and incredible job Kris!!!  Can we ask when your next bird prep job will be here?  :)

RB

10 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Here’s a before pic just for fun…

I think this has become the textbook definition of "significant prep". :P

This project has been occupying the lion's share of your attention recently--what's the next project waiting patiently in the wings? (No pun intended.)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

This is almost like saying goodby to an old friend.  I seem to have droplets of water in my eyes?   But seriously, a most outstanding and incredible job Kris!!!  Can we ask when your next bird prep job will be here?  :)

RB

I need someone to find another bird! You people better get busy looking for one. :P Those feathers are amazing but the most difficult thing I've ever worked on.

25 minutes ago, digit said:

I think this has become the textbook definition of "significant prep". :P

This project has been occupying the lion's share of your attention recently--what's the next project waiting patiently in the wings? (No pun intended.)

Cheers.

-Ken

It's not the longest time I've spent on a specimen but it is by far the longest when size of the specimen is taken into account. As for next projects, I have a passel of small projects stacked up from various TFF members. Poor @connorp has been waiting 4.5 months for me to start on 2 large boxes of specimens. I'm starting on them today. Next large project in queue is a roughly 3' gar from the GRF.

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Next large project in queue is a roughly 3' gar from the GRF

Ah, bony scales instead of feathers....

Cheers.

-Ken