Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird

Ptychodus04

13 hours ago, jpc said:

Ptych... do you do micro-prep with a video camera and computer monitor?  

I noticed that too. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

20 hours ago, jpc said:

oooohhhh.... an x-ray.  Bonus points!!!

Vert rings... this confuses me.  The Cyrilavis specimen has tracheal rings, which these might be.   I am no expert on bird osteology but I may have done a bit more homework than most.  Your victim certainly has a very short tarsometatarsus, which is parrot-oid, but a few other birds also have short a tmt (penguins, but that is not to be expected in the GRF)..  I'll buy a possible proto-parrot. 

In any case, this is pretty darn cool.  Congrats on getting to do the work.   

I’m woefully ignorant when it comes to more than a basic knowledge of Aves anatomy. Flexomornis was an enantiornithine, so I did a lot of research on them 15 years ago.

I knew the rings were associated with the neck based on Lance Grande’s book. Tracheal makes sense. Will definitely know more as prep progresses. It will be a while before I make any progress on this prep. I just got back from picking it up in Kemmerer and have a 5’ turtle to prep as well. I need to get it done in 4 months. :default_faint:

20 hours ago, Randyw said:

This is 1 prep that I’m glad its you doing and not me! You get to prep the coolest stuff! How long of a prep do you think it will be?

I’m estimating it will take around 300 hours, possibly more.

19 hours ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

Is this a prep for you or a prep for a client? If it is for a client, I bet you wish it was a prep for you, cause that bird is amazing!

This is for a client. I would only be interested in it for my collection if I found it. Everything in my collection has some personal significance (except for one specimen that I bought). All the rest were self-collected, a trade, gift, or were part of my father’s collection.

19 hours ago, jpc said:

I am jealous... I would love to do this kind of thing.  Esp with the x-ray as a guide. 

Ptych... do you do micro-prep with a video camera and computer monitor?   

I’m pretty stoked about it. I couldn’t get a good photo through the microscope but there’s soft tissue preserved all over the bones.

I’m going to get a new x-ray of it. This one was done with a medical device. My brother is an aviation mechanic and the shop that does his non-destructive testing has a much more powerful x-ray machine. That will give more definition. I spent close to 16 hours slowly prepping over the last few days in order to understand how the specimen related to the x-ray. I didn’t know what side was up when they took the image, so I didn’t want to go too fasts d scribe through a bone.

The camera and monitor are in my client’s prep lab. I was using his equipment in order to get an idea of how it will prep before I brought it to my lab. They take HD video recordings of the prep on rare specimens for documentation. I’ll be ordering one of these cameras as well. All prep is still under a microscope though. You lose all the depth perception with this camera since it is a single lens device.

Also need to upgrade my microscope, and get a new detail scribe.

This specimen is already earmarked for donation to a public institution. Likely candidates are Fossil Butte NM, Field Museum, or Smithsonian as they all have large GRF collections.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

This is purty cool!

RB

Definitely cool. It’s not very often that preps like this come along.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I just got back from picking it up in Kemmerer and have a 5’ turtle to prep as well. I need to get it done in 4 months. :default_faint:

Is the turtle from the GRF as well? That's gonna be really cool when its done.

I'm glad I can check your threads to see the prepping of these awesome fossils. Its something I wouldn't be able to do without TFF.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You lose all the depth perception with this camera since it is a single lens device.

This is exactly my concern with this sort of prep set-up.  

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This specimen is already earmarked for donation to a public institution. Likely candidates are Fossil Butte NM, Field Museum, or Smithsonian as they all have large GRF collections.

Being another fine Wyoming museum, feel free to let the owners know that the Tate Geological Museum in Casper is slowly building a Green River Fm collection and that bird would be a welcome displayable addition to our museum!!!   : )  (We have a grand total of 2 partial birds from the GRF).  

• Enjoyed 1

25 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Is the turtle from the GRF as well? That's gonna be really cool when its done.

I'm glad I can check your threads to see the prepping of these awesome fossils. Its something I wouldn't be able to do without TFF.

It is also from the GRF. That formation is a literal buried treasure.

9 minutes ago, jpc said:

Being another fine Wyoming museum, feel free to let the owners know that the Tate Geological Museum in Casper is slowly building a Green River Fm collection and that bird would be a welcome displayable addition to our museum!!!   : )  (We have a grand total of 2 partial birds from the GRF).  

I’ll let them know. Unfortunately, I don’t have any bearing on their decision but I’ll certainly let them know the Tate is an option.

• Enjoyed 1

50 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is also from the GRF. That formation is a literal buried treasure.

I’ll let them know. Unfortunately, I don’t have any bearing on their decision but I’ll certainly let them know the Tate is an option.

Thanks, I don't expect much, but it never hurts to ask.  

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The camera and monitor are in my client’s prep lab. I was using his equipment in order to get an idea of how it will prep before I brought it to my lab. They take HD video recordings of the prep on rare specimens for documentation. I’ll be ordering one of these cameras as well.

Curious as to what scope they are using. Obviously, something that outputs video through HDMI. I'm making use of HAYEAR digital microscope cameras but I'm always on the lookout for other solutions to seeing tiny things on large screens. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

I just got back from picking it up in Kemmerer and have a 5’ turtle to prep as well. I need to get it done in 4 months. :default_faint:

Ooh! That is cool! I love fossil turtles! Good luck on the prep! 

-Micah

Fabulous specimen!  I'm sure you will do a first-rate job on it.  I hope to see some updates over time!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 7:21 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I neglected to add this photo from the end of my prep session Tuesday. This represents 13 hours of prep time. :default_faint:

D25DE197-F719-42B0-AE5E-4E039A0B0AF2.thumb.jpeg.eec555b77c133220f18d367f87e6bbb3.jpeg

Any updates you could share with us??

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is in the same condition. No further work on this until I get my turtle prep finished.

Start prepping with a scribe in each hand.  HURRY.   Just kidding.  Looking forward to seeing this giant turtle completed also.

RB

• 4 months later...

The stars have aligned and I got the bird on the bench last night and got some time with a scribe under the microscope. This is a challenging prep as most of the bones are inflated (rare for birds), some are broken and shifted in the slab, and others have soft tissue preserved on them. I’m expecting to find feathers as well. Lots of stopping for consolidation. You’ll notice in the video link below that I’m skipping around the slab as I prep. This allows me to keep working as the Paraloid hardens on other areas.

I know some members can’t (or don’t) participate in Instagram. I’ll try to put some videos on my website when I have the time. Until then, here’s the link to my Instagram post. LINK And a link to my Twitter post. LINK

• Enjoyed 3

Nice! It is looking really good! This is sounds like it is going to be a pretty cool prep! 

Is the air scribe you are using the HW-322?

I really would really like to get the HW-70, but in order for me to do that I would need to sell my two scribes. I am actually seriously thinking about doing that. I know it is good to have a few scribes, but it sounds like the HW-70 is a really good all rounder? Also I hear that it takes very little air pressure, and my compressor is only 6 gallons...

Speaking of my air compressor, it has been having lots of leaks... I think it may be time to replace it. Ever since I broke it and attempted to repair it, it has been having issues...

Thanks,

-Micah

54 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Nice! It is looking really good! This is sounds like it is going to be a pretty cool prep! 

Is the air scribe you are using the HW-322?

I really would really like to get the HW-70, but in order for me to do that I would need to sell my two scribes. I am actually seriously thinking about doing that. I know it is good to have a few scribes, but it sounds like the HW-70 is a really good all rounder? Also I hear that it takes very little air pressure, and my compressor is only 6 gallons...

Speaking of my air compressor, it has been having lots of leaks... I think it may be time to replace it. Ever since I broke it and attempted to repair it, it has been having issues...

Thanks,

-Micah

Yep. it's a HW-322. Very low vibration and air consumption for very delicate preps. The HW70 is a great scribe but they all have limitations. It is a good middle of the road scribe but is too powerful for delicate work and not strong enough for moderate matrix removal. I would not recommend prepping with a single scribe unless it is all you have. I use 7 different scribes and all have benefits over the others, depending on the application.

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Yep. it's a HW-322. Very low vibration and air consumption for very delicate preps. The HW70 is a great scribe but they all have limitations. It is a good middle of the road scribe but is too powerful for delicate work and not strong enough for moderate matrix removal. I would not recommend prepping with a single scribe unless it is all you have. I use 7 different scribes and all have benefits over the others, depending on the application.

Thank you very much, Kris! :)

I guess I will probably keep my scribes, and maybe purchase a new one in a few years. It sure would be nice if they were not so expensive...

-Micah

13 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Thank you very much, Kris! :)

I guess I will probably keep my scribes, and maybe purchase a new one in a few years. It sure would be nice if they were not so expensive...

-Micah

That’s what I would do. What are the other scribes you have?

If you haven’t already, check out ZOIC PalaeoTech. I have their Microraptor and Velociraptor scribes. Microraptor is a great detail scribe (comparable to the HW-322 with less adjustability) and the Velociraptor is in the same power range of the HW70 (slightly less power). They use a pressure plate design like the Aro but use less air volume to drive the stylus. Great tools at about 50% the cost of the Winkler scribes. The tolerances aren’t quite as tight but well inside the requirements for most prep work.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:49 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s what I would do. What are the other scribes you have?

If you haven’t already, check out ZOIC PalaeoTech. I have their Microraptor and Velociraptor scribes. Microraptor is a great detail scribe (comparable to the HW-322 with less adjustability) and the Velociraptor is in the same power range of the HW70 (slightly less power). They use a pressure plate design like the Aro but use less air volume to drive the stylus. Great tools at about 50% the cost of the Winkler scribes. The tolerances aren’t quite as tight but well inside the requirements for most prep work.

Thanks for the response, Kris!

And I don't think I need anything super amazing, as White River Fm. fossils are usually quite easy to prep, so easy that you can do most of the prep with a tooth brush and water, though it can take quite a while...

I have a ZOIC Chicago and a Paleotools Micro Jack #4. I am actually thinking about getting the Velociraptor, or a Microraptor. Out of the two, which one would you suggest I get next?

Thanks,

-Micah

12 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Thanks for the response, Kris!

And I don't think I need anything super amazing, as White River Fm. fossils are usually quite easy to prep, so easy that you can do most of the prep with a tooth brush and water, though it can take quite a while...

I have a ZOIC Chicago and a Paleotools Micro Jack #4. I am actually thinking about getting the Velociraptor, or a Microraptor. Out of the two, which one would you suggest I get next?

Thanks,

-Micah

If I had to pick one, knowing the scribes you currently have, I’d go with the Velociraptor. It is right in the sweet spot between the Chicago (Zoic Chicago is a modified CP9361) and the Micro Jack lines.

Microraptor is comparable to a Micro Jack 2/3 depending on the air pressure used. 

The HW-322 is in a realm all of its own. There’s just enough airflow to clear the work area and I’m turning the matrix on this bird to a fine powder but not through pulverizing it. The tool is actually breaking down the matrix into its component pieces. I’m working at 40x and it’s kind of fun to watch the matrix crumble under the stylus.

34 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If I had to pick one, knowing the scribes you currently have, I’d go with the Velociraptor. It is right in the sweet spot between the Chicago (Zoic Chicago is a modified CP9361) and the Micro Jack lines.

Microraptor is comparable to a Micro Jack 2/3 depending on the air pressure used. 

The HW-322 is in a realm all of its own. There’s just enough airflow to clear the work area and I’m turning the matrix on this bird to a fine powder but not through pulverizing it. The tool is actually breaking down the matrix into its component pieces. I’m working at 40x and it’s kind of fun to watch the matrix crumble under the stylus.

Thanks for your reply, Kris! 

I think I will probably get the Velociraptor next then! :Smiling:

I for sure think it would be good to have a tool right in the middle of my two scribes. The Chicago might be too powerful for a piece, and the Micro Jack to light for that same piece. There is certainly a big difference between the two. 

-Micah

Here’s a recentish pic of the bird progress. I’m a bit further along than this shows but I forgot to snap a pic when I closed down the lab yesterday. I’m not looking forward to prepping the verts. Small, hollow, and paper thin. That’s not a fun combination. :duh2:

F3594184-13B8-4EFC-83E5-2BA7FBA26D7E.thumb.jpeg.a576f4053cd214cf09d56cc96d323da6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Small, hollow, and paper thin. That’s not a fun combination. :duh2:

Lots of whiskey could give some courage?  Ha!   Just kidding.   Gunna watch this prep for sure.  Good luck Kris, even though I dont think you need any. 

RB