Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird

Ptychodus04

This looks really cool Kris! Is the black mat around the wing on the right side of the image all soft tissue?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 12/1/2022 at 8:15 AM, Top Trilo said:

This looks really cool Kris! Is the black mat around the wing on the right side of the image all soft tissue?

That is a mat of decomposed feathers. It's basically a carbon film at this point. I'm hoping that it turns into individual feathers or at least has a discernable outline as I get further out.

• I found this Informative 1

here is an example from the Tate Museum collections of a bird wing with decomposed feather mass that transitions into actual feathers.... see the feathers along the bottom edge of the piece.  IMG_6656.thumb.jpg.d63d44ab5c33cc54bddc071b3bd770c5.jpg

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.  

I look forward to seeing what you come up with on this bird. 

• Enjoyed 2

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That is a mat of decomposed feathers. It's basically a carbon film at this point. I'm hoping that it turns into individual feathers or at least has a discernable outline as I get further out.

Thank you, that would be really cool if after prep it had a feathery archaeopteryx like outline.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

5 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Thank you, that would be really cool if after prep it had a feathery archaeopteryx like outline.

That would be awesome!

Here’s the status after today’s prep session.

1BD5949E-B07E-47AA-8086-3A7C9BA891AB.thumb.jpeg.b88d7979f01fd06ba09b66c99c815786.jpeg

I found the 4th toe!

46280D89-05A2-4C42-A863-5A8B798EDEB6.thumb.jpeg.1060ab02614a6525913ebf90db992471.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

I’ve gotten into my stride on this prep. Unfortunately, it’s a very inefficient stride. Max time in any single session is 2.5 hours. Any longer and the need to be completely steady is lost to hand fatigue. Yesterday, I got 2 sessions in. This is nothing compared to the 8-10 hours I can do on a regular prep. I hope to get 2 sessions in today as well.

6CEA5A99-B1F0-4B26-A250-53B3A414DF46.thumb.jpeg.95bc4a3410cd195fb877fa986ec17ab9.jpeg

5B911CBC-CE4A-4097-9591-77DC4434F738.thumb.jpeg.b5e8bea4a03db62ca5f6fb42a21db005.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

19 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Any longer and the need to be completely steady is lost to hand fatigue.

For the sake of the fossil and your hands, best not to push things. :)

Looking great and enjoying the slow but steady reveal.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

I spent some time working on the right tibiotarsus (assuming the bird is positioned ventral side facing up). That was quite a challenge as you can see from the photo. It has several vertebrae and ribs on top of it!

7E0A57B0-AF78-4C99-B469-9CBDF6A1C048.thumb.jpeg.63f3399cbb4a6ea1f8ddeb8f69fa62de.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Ptych... maybe the info is in the earlier posts here, but what tools are you using?  I assume you are doing a lot manually... pinvices with .... what sort of pointy ends?  

4 hours ago, jpc said:

Ptych... maybe the info is in the earlier posts here, but what tools are you using?  I assume you are doing a lot manually... pinvices with .... what sort of pointy ends?  

99% has been with an HW-322 with just a little work with a Microraptor.

I’m actually better with a scribe than a pin vice. I have the pressure on the HW turned down really low and the throw on the stylus is so short, you almost can’t see it move under the microscope.

I'm glad I ran into this thread! This is beyond exciting, and it's coming out beautifully! Great work. Now I'll just add to the tally of people watching in suspense... :popcorn:

On 12/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, jpc said:

here is an example from the Tate Museum collections of a bird wing with decomposed feather mass that transitions into actual feathers.... see the feathers along the bottom edge of the piece.  IMG_6656.thumb.jpg.d63d44ab5c33cc54bddc071b3bd770c5.jpg

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.  

I look forward to seeing what you come up with on this bird. 

I had speculated that this might be a thing, based on various pictures of feathery fossils, but it wasn't confirmed for me till now. Very helpful pic!

• Thank You 1

:star:

Wishing you a merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, and a joyful holiday season!

🎄   🕎   🎁

I started on the skull yesterday. Unfortunately, it is lying ventral up. The part visible in the photo is the under side of the beak. I would have preferred it to be laterally positioned but the bird didn’t consult me before it died.

50976B9C-1F90-40C0-A966-8DA0F8BD5471.thumb.jpeg.0685fbd15cdfecc2b8da2767b9b016e4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

27 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I started on the skull yesterday. Unfortunately, it is lying ventral up. The part visible in the photo is the under side of the beak. I would have preferred it to be laterally positioned but the bird didn’t consult me before it died.

50976B9C-1F90-40C0-A966-8DA0F8BD5471.thumb.jpeg.0685fbd15cdfecc2b8da2767b9b016e4.jpeg

Too bad that the skull is in that position. ;) But hey, at least there is a skull! 

Looking good,

-Micah

• JohnJ changed the title to Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird
19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

but the bird didn’t consult me before it died.

You one funny guy Kris, and doing a dang good job too. 

RB

• Enjoyed 1

And the prep goes on. A bit more work on the right wing while I await the delivery of the piece with the rest of the skull. Thankfully, it was recovered in the quarry and didn’t go AWOL during nearly 2 years in my client’s shop. :yay-smiley-1:

Once it arrives, I’ll start working on the skull again.

D197B29A-9909-430D-B88C-DB3107487019.thumb.jpeg.94d9ab30d0f988e185c0ebc57e0a341f.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

wow, nice fossil and gooooooood prep

Never did a bird of bat from Green River in my life, but I know from the fishes (when you like to do it perfect), its a hard and complicated work.

:tiphat:

• Thank You 1

Prep has slowed down a bit. I got the opposing side of the skull cut out and glued on. Then started working down to the bone. Progress is slower than usual due to the fact that on Friday, I had the pleasure to participate in a vehicular-pedestrian accident. I played the part of the pedestrian!

The moral of the story is never cross the street when you have permission to cross from the signal. :default_faint: I’m not a small guy but apparently, I’m invisible to people taking a very hot right hand turn.

I must say, it really is odd how time dilates and everything seems to happen in slow motion, and then speeds back up when you’re lying on the pavement after flying onto the hood of a car. :zen:

Here’s the amazing part. I walked away without a scratch, I’m just really sore. I know this is a science forum but I have to credit Divine intervention on this one.

Back to the prep. Here’s the current state of the head.

709EDA6F-AD0C-49D0-A1BC-B003FB47B754.thumb.jpeg.27743c9734ae0ff4992ec818a30de4ed.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Prep has slowed down a bit. I got the opposing side of the skull cut out and glued on. Then started working down to the bone. Progress is slower than usual due to the fact that on Friday, I had the pleasure to participate in a vehicular-pedestrian accident. I played the part of the pedestrian!

Sorry to hear this, Kris.  :(

Hope you are OK.  Man, that is not a thing anyone wants to have happen. Glad someone was looking out for you.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sorry to hear this, Kris. Assuming you saw some doctors after this incident--listen to what they say and follow their directions. Rest, hydrate and a steady diet of anti-inflammatory pills is likely in your near term future. Tend to your bones before worrying about this bird's.

Cheers.

-Ken

Glad that you're not hurt any worse.  Youre going to be sore for a while!  Take it easy, and go see your doc if anything starts getting worse.  The bird can wait.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin