Upcoming Prep Project - The Green River Bird

Ptychodus04

40 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The tale of the tail continues!

No tall tales here--strictly legit! ;)

Cheers,

-Ken

The feathers are amazing!

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Looking very nice! Those are some spectacular feathers. 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

You should try some UV photography on those feathers!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

It’s a pretty amazing bird for sure. I’m ready to be finished!!! I have so much other cool material waiting in the wings… See what I did there? :default_rofl:

@hadrosauridae my UV lamp finally gave up the ghost a few months ago and I haven’t been convinced to spend any cash to replace it yet.  :shakehead:

Edited by Ptychodus04
  • Enjoyed 2

The tail wound up being a little asymmetrical, partly because the matrix got so sticky that it began to peel the feathers with it and partly because the left side feathers are kind of wonky. Started on the skull last night and am already dreading it! Paper thin bones and cyanoacrylate soaked matrix aren’t a good combo. Thankfully, I found the right pressure setting on my Swam where I can slowly take off the matrix. There’s about 1/4 second of difference between removing the last of the matrix and blowing a hole in the bone!!

C6EA54D5-F7E9-4034-BB7B-F47AB8F5C053.thumb.jpeg.b0ab334c75fe8d36314ce4e5799f2ea2.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

12 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Paper thin bones and cyanoacrylate soaked matrix aren’t a

First of all: yikes! 1/4 second difference. 
Also wondering about the cysnoacrylate soaked matrix. Was this slab consolidated before prep?

I was wondering if that is an option with extremely fragile bones. I’m prepping one right now in a Sandy matrix with a needle. The only difference between bone and matrix is color!!! Im thinking of you while I prep it “we’ll if Kris can do that bird…this isn’t that bad” :zen:

Legends will be told in the future of the marathon battle between Kris and the Green River Bird! :default_clap2:

• Enjoyed 1

13 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

First of all: yikes! 1/4 second difference. 
Also wondering about the cysnoacrylate soaked matrix. Was this slab consolidated before prep?

I was wondering if that is an option with extremely fragile bones. I’m prepping one right now in a Sandy matrix with a needle. The only difference between bone and matrix is color!!! Im thinking of you while I prep it “we’ll if Kris can do that bird…this isn’t that bad” :zen:

Legends will be told in the future of the marathon battle between Kris and the Green River Bird! :default_clap2:

The back of the cranium split off the main slab when it was split in the field. I had to reattach it in order to do the prep. I have my SWAM dialed in really tight so, the matrix and glue are coming off without really messing up the bone. It's definitely slow going as I can almost count the grains of iron as they come out of the nozzle!

Your project sounds like a nightmare. I'm running into similar circumstances here as well. High magnification and dialed in equipment really makes a difference. 

• I found this Informative 1

Skull close up pic!

B23EA512-3631-4303-AEAD-F0686178ED99.thumb.jpeg.15f9ceee76448aff0bf8ead071ac4074.jpeg

This is what happens when you work around the clock at your “real job” and cram as much time in as possible at your “dream job”, then sit on the couch for a short break between prep sessions!

0A18B538-257C-4DD0-B270-B85B4B89E52D.thumb.jpeg.d718f0c576ab51553f5067641e35d046.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Oh no! That vicious canine is holding you down and forcing you to nap! Is this the end of our intrepid preparer? Stay tuned for the next installment of

when dogs nap attack!:BigSmile:

He's turning into a good looking pup there!

• Enjoyed 1

22 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Oh no! That vicious canine is holding you down and forcing you to nap! Is this the end of our intrepid preparer? Stay tuned for the next installment of

when dogs nap attack!:BigSmile:

He's turning into a good looking pup there!

He thinks he's vicious but it's hard to take him seriously when he's growling at me while laying on his back with his feet in the air. :P 

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Skull close up pic!

B23EA512-3631-4303-AEAD-F0686178ED99.thumb.jpeg.15f9ceee76448aff0bf8ead071ac4074.jpeg

This is what happens when you work around the clock at your “real job” and cram as much time in as possible at your “dream job”, then sit on the couch for a short break between prep sessions!

0A18B538-257C-4DD0-B270-B85B4B89E52D.thumb.jpeg.d718f0c576ab51553f5067641e35d046.jpeg

good to see that you have a dog and not a cat. The bird would be a delicous meal to the cat, would take the chance while you are sleeping :heartylaugh:

:s_cry: Oh boy! That close up of the skull! I see what you are dealing with. No clean separation of matrix from bone. Just relying on high magnification and when the matrix is gone and bone is exposed. A constant battle!

Hopefully you woke up refreshed and ready for another round, or just decided time to sleep in my actual bed and I’ll continue another day :fistbump:

I was also wondering - not that you already have enough to deal with during a prep session :blink:

But is it possible to film a little bit of the action down the scope? I’d love to see it. 

46 minutes ago, rocket said:

good to see that you have a dog and not a cat. The bird would be a delicous meal to the cat, would take the chance while you are sleeping :heartylaugh:

He's a miniature schnauzer so, his prey drive is really strong. He's now learned to go into stealth mode when he sees a rabbit in the yard. He's not far from catching one. Nothing is safe in the yard!

36 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

:s_cry: Oh boy! That close up of the skull! I see what you are dealing with. No clean separation of matrix from bone. Just relying on high magnification and when the matrix is gone and bone is exposed. A constant battle!

Hopefully you woke up refreshed and ready for another round, or just decided time to sleep in my actual bed and I’ll continue another day :fistbump:

I got up and spent another 4.5 hours prepping. :duh2:

32 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I was also wondering - not that you already have enough to deal with during a prep session :blink:

But is it possible to film a little bit of the action down the scope? I’d love to see it. 

My microscope doesn't have the capability of attaching a camera without losing one of the oculars. No way I'm giving up binocular vision on this one. I am recording HD time lapse video for the whole thing. When I get around to messing with it, I can zoom in on a clip and share it. I have around 120GB of content already. When all is said and done, the time lapse video will be around 5 hours start to finish with a time lapse where 1 minute of video equals of 1 hour of prep! :default_faint:

8 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My microscope doesn't have the capability of attaching a camera without losing one of the oculars. No way I'm giving up binocular vision on this one. I am recording HD time lapse video for the whole thing. When I get around to messing with it, I can zoom in on a clip and share it. I have around 120GB of content already. When all is said and done, the time lapse video will be around 5 hours start to finish with a time lapse where 1 minute of video equals of 1 hour of prep! :default_faint:

incredible..., that enough for a book, or a great cinema-movie ("THE RISE OF THE HIDDEN BIRD")

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My microscope doesn't have the capability of attaching a camera without losing one of the oculars

Awwww, come on, after all those hours dont you want to mix it up a little? One eyed prep, prep with the other hand? :heartylaugh:

Seriously though - not a problem and completely understandable! Prepping and your comfort (or that you can manage!) takes priority over our entertainment. I look forward to the video. Mind boggling 1 minute = 1 hour.

I only have a binoc scope for prepping etc but wish I had paid a little extra for a trinoc. 

For solidarity. Here’s a close up of the bone I’m working on. Nib for starbond glue in shot. 

B273427F-560A-4388-856E-5274B381EEB9.thumb.jpeg.0dabc71e6e48149de343b73c5a8065df.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

the time lapse video will be around 5 hours start to finish with a time lapse where 1 minute of video equals of 1 hour of prep! :default_faint:

Wow!:default_faint::o

• I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Awwww, come on, after all those hours dont you want to mix it up a little? One eyed prep, prep with the other hand? :heartylaugh:

Seriously though - not a problem and completely understandable! Prepping and your comfort (or that you can manage!) takes priority over our entertainment. I look forward to the video. Mind boggling 1 minute = 1 hour.

I only have a binoc scope for prepping etc but wish I had paid a little extra for a trinoc. 

For solidarity. Here’s a close up of the bone I’m working on. Nib for starbond glue in shot. 

B273427F-560A-4388-856E-5274B381EEB9.thumb.jpeg.0dabc71e6e48149de343b73c5a8065df.jpeg

That does not look like any kind of fun!

8 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

:default_clap2:Wonderful! Looks like that beak was a little less sticky? 

The mandibular rostrum wasn't sticky at all since it wasn't near the glue area. The maxillary rostrum was a different story. The distal end didn't catch any glue but the proximal end was medieval torture levels of stickiness.

The end is in sight! I’m to the point that I’m working touch up on exposed bones and teasing out feathers where I can on the body. Last step will be to clean up the matrix on the edges of the specimen. This image represents 250 hours of work.

F3CA3D2E-7DE6-4071-9ED5-359D27B0D6A8.thumb.jpeg.52c5e14c22559d1ca535bc5977e9813b.jpeg

• Enjoyed 10

Beautiful work! It looks amazing and that skull? Wow!

I'm glad for you that it's pretty much done but I'll miss seeing the progress reports!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1