Tusk or tooth, fossil or not?

RuthB

Hi

Thanks for accepting me on to your forum - I'm hoping for some info re the attached images.  I'm a complete novice so please excuse any obvious confusion/errors.

These were a surface find in an inland, ploughed field in East Yorkshire, nearest coastal town Withernsea.

I think they may be teeth or tusks, possibly wild boar, but could be completely wrong.  Can anyone confirm the species and approximate age/if they are indeed fossils or too modern?

Many thanks!

Tusks A.jpeg

Tusks B.jpeg

Tusk C.jpeg

• Thank You 1

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

No idea, what they are (but wild boar is indeed ringing a bell in me ;)) and they look (sub-)modern.

More important: I would like to say thank you for the very good pics and using a ruler and cm-paper :dinothumb:! Top first ID-post!!

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 5

Thanks Franz, glad you liked the photos!

I'm thinking if not pre-historic then perhaps stone age (paleolithic or mesolithic), but am open to expert opinion!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

They do resemble boar tusks to me, but I've never seen any in person, so other forum members can probably give you a much more definitive answer.

Thanks for your reply Brandy - the more research I do the more I think they're old but not pre-historic/fossilised, tusks.

• I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

They certainly look like pig (Sus scrofa) teeth.  Very similar to the ones I have in a modern pig skull.  Your last picture looks just like the lower right canine from my pig.   I think determining whether they are old, sort of old, or modern is probably pretty difficult from what I read.  There are techniques that Archaeologists use to try and determine domesticated from feral and relative age, but the methods are beyond my scope of knowledge and often require high tech equipment. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies. They are now with an archaeologist who will hopefully able to suggest a date.

Cheers, Ruth