Sawshark concretion with rostrum and teeth (New Zealand)

mamlambo

Hi All

I recently hiked to a remote area and only found one fossil, but it's a doozy! I've been wanting to find a shark tooth concretion since I heard about them so I was pretty happy when I found this concretion with what looked like a row of teeth and some cartilage in it. I don't think it's common for cartilage to fossilize this well so maybe the rostrum was really dense? I'd love to know what some of the shark tooth experts think about this one!

I've started prepping it and there are numerous teeth still inside the concretion. I had to stop with the air scribe and move to acetic and B72 as they are all over the place and I don't want to risk damaging any.

It's potentially an Ikamauius ensifer species, but that is still tentative.

Of course I got it on video :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXl8mGEIIM

278184098_1056688645265220_1469759007630571440_n.jpg

958357404_20220421_223618(1).jpg

20220423_103334.jpg

20220423_103329.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 14

Cool channel! Surprised I hadn't come across it sooner. Looking forward to future updates on this rostrum!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

I got hyped when I saw you post this on Tiktok. Can’t wait to see it in its full glory

• Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

I remember seeing the video and wondering what it would look like when finished. Still am, excited to see how this turns out. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Really cool fossil.  Been watching your video's for awhile now.  Youve got lots of likes from this guy.

RB

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Your videos are a lot of fun to watch, not only because of the cool fossils and excellent scenery, but even more because of the way your personality shines through.  You always seem so enthusiastic and happy!

Don

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oxytropidoceras said:

That's a great idea! I don't have access to a CT scanner unfortunately and the rocks from this area haven't done well with CT scanning before, not entirely sure of the reason for this. I did have two of my concretions scanned by a neutron scanner which gave amazing results but the closest one of those is in Australia so I would need an export permit for fossil (which I could get!). I'll enquire about the pricing for that.