My student Joshua found a mysterious bone

Lukepenketh

Hi everyone,

I am a science teacher, and one of my bright young students Joshua is very interested in finding fossils.

Last week he found this fossilised bone in Halstock, Dorset. We have no idea what it is and would like your help!

The bone was at the side of a stream, where he has found lots of shell fossils previously.

It looks like some sort of femur, and is hollow. It has a small hole just above the inside of the joint.

We have attached some photographs, and can take more as required.

Any help you can give us would be brilliant!

Thanks,

Luke and Joshua

IMG_20220429_141616.jpg

IMG_20220429_141632.jpg

IMG_20220429_141656.jpg

IMG_20220429_141707.jpg

IMG_20220429_141725.jpg

Welcome to the Fossil Forum from Southwest Florida.   Joshua seems to have found a Horse radius bone,  Your view seems to be the distal end.  @Harry Pristis

2097053408_DistalendofaHorseradiusbone.jpg.8cecfcbb3f11a959e2f723ea239d6edf.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I think this is the proximal end of a metacarpal, possibly cervid, but also consider sheep.  I don't have a good illustration for you.  Note the raised bead running the length of the interior of the bone.  This bead is what's left of the walls between two metacarpals which fused in the course of evolution to form what is informally called a "cannon bone."

Here's an illustration of a camel cannon bone to orient you.

camel_metacarpal.JPG

HPPSdr.exe

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

8 hours ago, Lukepenketh said:

Brilliant answers. Thanks you both

Harry did all the insightful analysis. Luke, My biggest contribution was to know I should ask him to take a look.  In the end, the important thing is that you got an excellent response.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"