Ankylosaur Node?

32fordboy

I got this thing for a bargain. It was being sold as "a triceratops horn that doesn't match the description of a triceratops horn" :blink: , so I went into the deal assuming it wasn't.

Anyway, after it arrived here, I looked it over and began to think the lower part (not pictured) was some sort of limb bone fragment. Not interested in that. The "tip of the horn" looks to be a huge ankylosaur node B) . Can anybody on here confirm that? Maybe an expert needs to see it in person?

It is smooth on what appears to be the inside edge of the node--maybe that was the inner surface of the skull, or something. It is from hell Creek, of course.

Nick

post-741-12696603768702_thumb.jpg

post-741-12696603893677_thumb.jpg

post-741-1269660454799_thumb.jpg

I agree that it does not appear from the pictures to be triceratops horn. I suppose it could possibly be ankylosaur. It could also be a trike frill section.

If you mean node = scute ( body armour) no. the blood vessel lines make it look like some sort of horn

Ceratopsid nasal horn core, supra-orbital horn core

By "node", I meant one of the large head "horns"/"spikes". I guess that's what "node" means. Of course, I am node to be crazy sometimes :D

Edited by 32fordboy

By "node", I meant one of the large head "horns"/"spikes". I guess that's what "node" means. Of course, I am node to be crazy sometimes :D

Node to be taken the wrong way, it could very well be from an Ankylosaur, I have never heard them called nodes before but I can not find anything that gives the spiky thing a proper name

haha for a while there, I thought I may have made up a word :D Then I found this, so apparently, I'm not crazy...or am I... :P

But until an expert can look at it in person, ankylosaur node seems the most logical. It's so hard to identify such a 3-dimensional fossil over the internet. I want to thank you all for your input, and triceratops frill horn has not yet been ruled out...I don't have the expertise to do that.

Thanks!

http://hoopermuseum.earthsci.carleton.ca//2001_ankylosaurs_ds/nodosaurids.html

• 1 month later...

Just to add my two cents, looks like a nasal horn from a juvenile ceratopsian. Not like any ankylosaur scutes I collected in hell Creek or Judith River.

Russ