Can we collect in the Deep Springs Road Creek?

Trilobite Enthusiast

I was just fossil hunting at the deep springs road site, and I decided to search for fossils in the dry part of the creek (downstream a bit, in the thorny brambles). I found many fossils, but I wondered as I was doing it whether fossil collection there was allowed. I figured that since the owner lets people fossil hunt on that property, and because that area was not cared for (bramble city), that it was okay. However, I stopped on the off chance that it wasn’t allowed in case it could affect any other people hunting on the site. Is fossil hunting there okay? If not, should I return the fossils I collected?

If you are taking about the small creek running next to the quarry I wouldn't see a reason as too why not. I think it is owned by the same person.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Probably not an issue, but we've been warned to stay out of the cultivated fields. Anywhere outside the quarry might be risky during hunting season. 

I stopped off at DSR last Sunday (April 24) on a whim while returning to NYC from Boston. In a slight "detour" at the northern edge of the DSR site, I sideswiped some low vegetation and found 2 black tick nymphs (approx. 1mm) crawling on my pants. Sorry, didn't have any plastic sealer bags handy for later ID or pics. Be especially careful out there.

• I found this Informative 1

I wouldn't do any digging in or near the banks of the creek.  :(

Surface collecting is probably fine, but I would advise against altering the path of the creek in any way.

The landowner is generous to let us collect there. Definitely don't want to cause any reason to not be allowed back.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me