A few finds along SC beaches near Port Royal/Beaufort

boonefrog

Hey y'all. Long time lurker, first time poster and first time beach fossil hunting (previously only done stuff in TX/CO road and river cuts), so this "sand thing" is all new. I did many hours of research in an attempt to leverage this extra day I had on top of my nonprofit's staff retreat and it did not disappoint. I landed on The Sands beach and Hunting State Park - both near savannah, GA/port royal, SC and both mentioned a few times on this forum. Most of this was found on the Sands within about an hour of looking, but the shark tooth, the flatter possible turtle shell(?) piece, and a couple other interesting small pieces were after about 2-2.5 hrs walking along Hunting Island north beach. I know ID will be unlikely on most of the bones, but figured I'd try as a couple seem pretty interesting! I'm most interested in the last 2 pics as I don't care much about the lighter conglomerate-looking pieces. I recognize I messed up on the lack of scale, but I'm on the road and operating out of my car. If it helps, there's a beer can in one pic and the large (vert?) piece is close to fist-sized. Happy to post more pics in the AM if folks need them.

Any help or insight is most appreciated and now that I have an account, I hope to post more often :)

IMG_6671.jpeg

IMG_6682.JPG

IMG_6683.JPG

IMG_6684.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

The bone is likely from marine mammals. Dolphin being one of the more common. The flat piece could be turtle. A look at the internal texture may help.

The lighter colored piece in the upper left of the second photo looks like part of the muscle attachment sites on an isognomon (oyster) shell.

Welcome to TFF,

Interesting finds.... This shark tooth may be a Sand Tiger, maybe Carcharias cuspidata

Carcharias sp.
Sand Tiger Shark

C. cuspidata, Odontaspis reticulata aka C. acutissima aka C. retuculata

Growing up to 10 feet in length, Sand Tigers are found in temperate waters worldwide along the coast, including the Eastern United States. They look ferocious in the water as they usually swim with their mouths partially open, showing rows of long and pointy teeth. These teeth are ideal for grasping onto bony fish, their prey.

IMG_6684SandTiger.jpg.947adf2b74f8bfe83d275404346526fb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Cool finds! I especially love the beautiful sponge borings and what looks to be a sponge boring partially encrusted possibly with coral? 

sponge boring.png

Edited by Plantgrogu

Thanks so much y'all! Days 2 and 3 netted way more as I found a place to actually dig through what I think are dredging spoils. Will most the details shortly!