Claw, clasper, squid hook?

sjaak

So I split a slab at home and this showed up. Unfortunately compressed and a bit splintered, but negative and positive. 

Found in Helmsdale, Scotland. Jurassic marine sediment.

It looks like a claw, but I also saw see hybodont claspers and squid hooks with this shape. Any ideas?

20220506_195117.jpg

20220506_195200.jpg

20220506_195158.jpg

20220506_195148.jpg

No idea whether could be, but it would be absolutely massive for a squid hook: the ones I've seen are typically on more than a few millimetres. Rather, I'm thinking this looks like a fish bit? @Fossildude19

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Rotated and cropped:

20220506_195148.jpg.1fb61b8c2e0fcb96fd7438598241bfd1.jpg

20220506_195158.jpg.08a8d673e1f173aa11c4cdb823ed1824.jpg

I'm thinking fish, as well, but this does not look familiar to me.

• Thank You 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Never knew that claspers could fossilize, interesting fact, now I want one for my collection.

Edited by Mahnmut
clarification

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 hour ago, Mahnmut said:

Never knew that claspers could fossilize.

Apparently, they can. Here is a thread:

I find it hard to see a resemblance and if it is fishy then I wonder which part. The fossil is crumbly, but it clearly has a sharp tip. 

Edited by sjaak
  • I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, sjaak said:

Thanks, Ludwigia, I see the resemblance.must have been a big one!

https://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/collections/3034/objects/1029/onychites-sp-a-squid-tentacle-hook-fossil

You're welcome. We're always extremely happy when we find one of these down here. They're quite rare as you can imagine.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

30 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Definitely a squid hook (Onychites) IMHO.

I've seen plenty of squid hooks (have various in my collection, either disarticulated as stomach contents or still articulated as tentacles), but would never have thought they could reach this size... Must've been an impressive beasty! :o

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Mega-onychites would be a good fit.

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

fantastic one, Squid-hook, great find! Sometimes you can find one in this size in Holzmaden-Area (Posidonia-slate), but they are rare in this size.

3 minutes ago, rocket said:

fantastic one, Squid-hook, great find! Sometimes you can find one in this size in Holzmaden-Area (Posidonia-slate), but they are rare in this size.

They must be, as I don't think I've ever seen one in any of the great collections/museums on the Posidonia Shale... :o Not that I've been keeping an eye out for it, of course, me being much to distracted by all the marine reptile fossils. But I was quite surprised...! :D

yes, this is incredible size

check e.g. bbm:978-3-8274-3083-0/1.pdf (springer.com) (Tafel B, Fig. 1), this can reach 3 cm and a little bit more

and Fossiler Tiefseeboden (museum-zurholt.de), Fig. 11c-k, Page 9

up to 50 mm....

Riegraf_Werner_Lörcher_1984_DerPosidonienschiefer_.pdf, pg. 165..., up to 7 cm...

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 3

I also found this 20 cm belemnite at the same site. Could these be related?

20220507_164159.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, sjaak said:

I also found this 20 cm belemnite at the same site. Could these be related?

Hard to say, as it all depends on species how you'd extrapolate body size. But I'd say the squid hook needs to come from an even bigger specimen.

• I Agree 1