Shellseeker

I was out hunting the Peace River with a friend today.  We had some success.  He found what initially appeared to be a canine.  It was small (36 x 12 mm) jet black with a darker enamel like tip.  I decided to take some photos while on the river. I kept on trying to get better photos of the "scars" , but as it dried out,  I decided it was not a tooth.

So, what is it.  I have never seen anything like it,  even though it has the general shape of a tilly bone. Maybe others have seen similar from Florida Rivers...  @digit @Harry Pristis @Sacha

It is hard fossilized, like a tooth or tilly bone.  

Thanks ,jack

IMG_5489ceText.thumb.jpg.92da94db9f0158448906163d97b734b6.jpgIMG_5490.thumb.JPEG.fb1d11d0d03b2ffacb77e700a3b8e4b7.JPEGIMG_5493ce.thumb.jpg.d7aab455edc0d7714912b69cfec20729.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Fossilized gherkin?

Not seeing enamel and Tilly Bone does seem a good fit.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, digit said:

Not seeing enamel and Tilly Bone does seem a good fit.

Cheers.

Ken

It does remind me of a Tilly bone.  These bone growths are typically not vascularized, so they are very dense . . . dense enough to take a reasonable polish using rotary tool with a wire brush.  Not necessarily dispositive, but a polish could be a useful indicator.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

What's a Tilly Bone?

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

4 hours ago, NatalieP said:

What does it look like all dried out?

My hunting friend found it. I'll see him Wednesday when we go out hunting again.  He told me that he had polished it.  I have asked him to bring it along and I'll get some updated photos.

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 1 month later...

I'd say tilly bone too Jack. I've found at least 12-15 different types over the years:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I'm in the tilly bone camp.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library