Fossilized sugar cookie? 1.5" - ~4cm

MagisterLudi

Found these in southwest South Dakota. Looked at thousands of images online before troubling you fine folks. Found in an arroyo below layers of possible fossilized bone and a layer with a variety of chalcedony/agate

20220506_191135.jpg

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Cookie Monster | Spotify

Just crack marks, possibly due to drying of sediments during rock formation. 

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hello.

I think especially the upper one looks as if some chemical weathering also occurred, the cracks have been widened when part of the rock (probably limestone) got dissolved. Maybe thats also what rounded them, maybe they where mechanically shaped in flowing water before weathering. The whitish spots are mechanical abrasion again.

In any case, although they are not fossils in the strict sense, they do show a lot of natural history and I think rocks like these can only be found in regions with a special geology and climate, that at least to me is exotic. I would have collected them too.

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks for the welcome and informative responses. I have always enjoyed collecting and admiring rocks and fossils and have started planning trips around it. This seems like a great place to learn a lot.

Aloha,

Kala